• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

½way thru a filter/fluid chnge (looking for advice b4 bolting/refilling ) 4L80e. 91 sub.v2500 4wd.

Yousiferrous

relentless bastard
Reaction score
Just looking for any advice before i finish up this process. Quick summary of my truck:1991 5.7L v8 TBI suburban silverado v2500 4wD

Currently runs rough intermittently. 80 90% of the time.. got a general gameplan on tasks and tests to get it back into shape (compression test ) tune up/upgrades ect) however... atm waiting on payday and othermisc factors. Only in a perfect world would i happen to properly tackle this and my order of operations according to the hayes bible.. ; ) anyways after 3 months of procrastinating i finally drained my 4L80e dropped pan for what is initially a simple filter /fluid + visual inspection of its well being. Now b4 bolting pan back n all i figured now is the smarter time to maybe clarify and get some expertise and save a days worth of extra mess making...

Gonna post a few pics/ video and hope somone can help me towards the light. Not sure if the tranny is the culprit to the rough symptoms of rough running. However seems likely if not just TPS /other bits.. yet the trans fluid has always leaked slowly and consistently im thinking by the wiggle play in the main harness ( from outside to in the inside. Driverside rearish. The main harness input connection round shaped w many pin prongs.. its always soaked with fluid. Ive sprayed electrical conect. cleaner graciously a few diff times followed by air drying after ect in hopes that itd remain dry n happy but regardless of its inner rubber weather apron and fit that fluid just finds it way back in and that connection is wetter then mothernature is when i step outiside in the winter... ***anyways***

im wondering if the wiggles i now see is due to missing seal ring or somthing??
And if seal is specially rare type or breed should i just use some sorta batter- rtvcaulk and beader up DIY fashion like martha stewie would?

*& note that 1st time i noticed n cleaned this connection input few months back truck was bogged n sputterin rough so bad didnt think itd make it much further down the road and sure enough after a generous shower of contact cleaner and fresh air. Reconnected. Headed off down highway back to town and Goddamn what a night n day difference! I remember saying aloud tomyself. She aint ever ran so good!. Went from: high rev rough sigh/ super lagged hesitation feeling like a emptydry tin horse that been chokin down loose nuts and bolts nearly no gallop left. Into...: healthy sounding idle no hesitation fullfisted ooomph like suddenly posessed by seabiscuit in its prime on steroids ..sprintin along down the yonder like nascar on sunday. That connector input soon after soakedagain and last two repeat sprays to clean it wasnt as noteably effective.. still i feel like itd be a likely leaking point to address now with best suggested option before finally refilling...

Also in the video or pic i noticed a c clip that is clipped at the end of a rod or somthing just barely protruding like ¼" out of surface.. all looks normal except i can clearly see a dirt /dusty outline of where itd sit flush (as if intended when installed or assembled. Not sure if i should push c clip down so its flush or if its fine how i found it... appears to be the only one c clip visible amongst the h

Sorry folks! Currently struggleing with wifi coverage on my phone... circled the c clip with blue circle to help define my question... i really need to bolt the pan back up ASAP. Just wondering if this clip is how it should be or if its coming loose somehow do to wear and tear or somthin.. thanks!

Attachments

• 20221019_062410.jpg
    20221019_062410.jpg
    102.2 KB · Views: 2
Welcome to the forum @Yousiferrous I'm no tranny expert, but if that C-clip is in the grove properly I wouldn't worry too much about it.

as ak said, the harness is probably due for a upgrade and replacement. they all start leaking at some point in their lives. a lot of the times they leak internal through where the wires and pins to through the actual connector. spray with cleaner and air dry once again for the mean time, then goop some dielectric grease in there to help keep the tranny fluid off and causing a short until you can order a new harness.

@THEFERMANATOR is our resident tranny expert. Hopefully he will see this soon and give you a hand.

Here is a video of the stuff im confused/concerned about with prolly better view of what and where the bits are.
I don't think it came through. upload the video to youtube and then copy and past the link here. that's the easiest way to post videos.

Just seen the replys! And my bad on attach files not working for the video upload..
Thankyou for the welcomes! And the advice! Definitley looking to upgrade the whole vehicle as far as harness'es go... wasnt aware that there even was a newer style connector until now.. any idea as to where i should go to order or buy a new connector from?

. That should do the trick.. thanks again everyone!! By the way. Ive since just inspected the main harness to the tranny and low n behold sure enough about a foot or so up from the connector (keep in mind this section was well inside the thick plastic corragated wire shield armor) first fault i noticed was two wires side by side both exposed like a bite was nibbled into them both... prolly assuming they made contact with exhaust and melted long ago... anyways i can see the potential of these two making momentary contact whenever goIng over a bump or somthin.. and about a few inches up one wire is completley exposed hanging together only by the copper threads... and another fing wire wich is either completley disconnected accidently or purposefully in the past by someone.... keep in mind i very carefully handled this harness as i pulled the corragated plastic armor tubing to find all of this... imma upload some pics here in a moment.. honestly surprised i have never gotten any check engine lighted codes.. id be even more surprised if this isnt the actual cause to my mysterious list of symptoms of truck driving like it was on its way to the pits of doom..

Heres some pics.... idk what im gonna do atm cuz i cant afford to go buy anything atm got maybe 10 bucks anyways thinkin bout performing a temporary electrical surgeory vs. Just some liquid electrical tape to prevent any intermit shorts.. im gonna clean these up with a bit of iso on a rag and decide..

Heres some pics.... idk what im gonna do atm cuz i cant afford to go buy anything atm got maybe 10 bucks anyways thinkin bout performing a temporary electrical surgeory vs. Just some liquid electrical tape to prevent any intermit shorts.. im gonna clean these up with a bit of iso on a rag and decide..20221021_151210.jpg
20221021_151140-jpg.77345

Attachments

• 20221021_151210.jpg
    20221021_151210.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 1
  • 20221021_151140.jpg
    20221021_151140.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 22
I believe those twisted wires are the speed sensor wires and need to stay twisted to read right, so be careful there. I've heard that a rebuild kit for the older trannies comes with the newer style and the old style is unavailable

clean up the wires and apply some liquid tape to seal them. pull them anyway so they are not gonna be touching anything, but don't untwist them.

the small steel pin with the c-clip. leave that alone. seeing a pressure sensor without any connector and judging by how clean the valve body looks, has someone has been into this tranny, rebuild it, or did a swap where it may have came from a different year truck and they just installed the old harness and ran with it? what is it's back history? is the tranny slipping any or not shifting properly?

on the harness main connector, it's loose because of a main clip that held it into place is ether missing or broken. I believe the clip is plastic and part of the harness. you will have to first disconnect the plug on the outside and then push it inward to slide it out. there should be a o-ring or seal of some sort on the outer part that seals it to the body. you can "only for a temporary" fix, pull it out by pushing it into the tranny. clean it's surface and the surface of the hole in the housing so it's dry and oil free. then apply a thin layer of RTV silicone to the hole, not on the connector. re-install and secure it as best as you can. leave it to allow the silicone to cure. then put the pan on and refill.

word of caution: you do NOT want ANY silicone getting inside the transmission.

Hey yall. Didnt mean to ghost the thread. :] appreciate the input and the vibe so far.

So the history is limited to me from who i bought it from was a stranger who didnt have previous history on it also. however he did mention somthIn bout tranny work though its safe to say there is plenty of frankenstienedswappage here n there In general to assume the truck is a bit of a mut as far as parts n all..

Anyways i had defInitely Installed a drain bolt Inititally which made the de-pan possible without a huge mess..
I had to work with what i had at the moment. Just carefully cleaned and InsIlated the wire exposures
.. so heres the next phase of my wonders and joys as i was refillIng the tranny.(lower back thrown out aswell soit was far from fun) toward the end i found a decent puddle of joy leaking from (after paInful soul searching kn my knees..) cImIng from what may have once been a vent tube now just a surface flush hole dribblIng fluId never seen that before though makes sense why itd end up on everythIng cuz of dripling on drive shaft... anyways idk much about the importance of such things and searchIng goog didnt return much Info to conclude with confidence.. i just drove from napa to placervilleand then to oakland and back to napa tk help a friend move and drove decent nearly the whole trip except almost back and put it Intk reverse and bam no moveent along with sudden rough noise revving. Pushed harder Nd It finally slipped into movement and sInce then its acceleration tImimg to get going had hit its exhaustion point.. assuming bands may be worn sjnce fluId ìs where It should be... thanks yall

Back