• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Alternator wire

there should be a 8 or 10 gauge wire on the positive lead of the battery cable splitting off. that reaches over to the alternator. on my 95 I added a second wire to the back of the alternator and ran it to one of the two lugs that are on the back side of the under hood fuse box. you will also need to install a maxi fuse in the corresponding location for that lug in the box too. that made a difference for me. I found that the cable running from the battery to that fuse box would have 40 amps drawn with the engine running.

there should be a 8 or 10 gauge wire on the positive lead of the battery cable splitting off. that reaches over to the alternator. on my 95 I added a second wire to the back of the alternator and ran it to one of the two lugs that are on the back side of the under hood fuse box. you will also need to install a maxi fuse in the corresponding location for that lug in the box too. that made a difference for me. I found that the cable running from the battery to that fuse box would have 40 amps drawn with the engine running.
Yep. The factory wiring is bare minimum or undersized on about everything.

Some can be augmented, others replaced with a bigger wire.

I generally add another OEM alternator wire to the other battery.

I haven't been up grading the power center wires until recently. It's a very good idea.

Back