• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

CA Smog: Failed This Time. Need Help with Action Plan.

Big T, I've got my complete stock exhaust, still in good shape, I think (been setting outside), from when I put the DE system in. If nobody else closer to you comes up with what you need I'm offering the use of any part of my system you may need. I'm thinking the down pipe on back to just behind the cat. I did make one cut in the pipe to make it easier to remove the system, but don't remember where just now. It's pitch black outside, and raining (finally, but that's another story), but if you are interested I'll go check it out in the daylight.

It's yours to use to help you pass the inspection. All you need to do is pay shipping.

Don

I need a permanent solution, at least every two years for the smog check. Something that can be swapped in for the test/inspection and swapped back out for the DE the rest of the time. So, do you want to "lend" or "sell"? If sell, then I'd be interested in just the cat as I don't want to pay to ship pipe. If so, I need to know quickly as my wife is up in the Redding area today and I could redirect her further north to pick it up, though Albany is up there by Corvalis.

Just heard back. Must buy whole section of pipe at $95 shipped.
Try this link maybe something you can use http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trk...ll+and+socket+exhaust+pipe&_sacat=0&_from=R40

Leroy, what's the OD on the ball and socket joint of the Diamond Eye Downpipe?

This one is the right type, but max size is 2.5" OD:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/CUSTOM-BALL...Parts_Accessories&hash=item53f06863a1&vxp=mtr

They offer a 3", but the joining flange is a 3-bolt pattern vs the 2-bolt above and on the Diamond Eye:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/3-inch-BALL...Parts_Accessories&hash=item2a3799abd9&vxp=mtr

Or would this 3" by Jegs do the trick, while just leaving the connecting flange on the downpipe side hanging free:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/JEGS-Perfor...Parts_Accessories&hash=item19dbae69d4&vxp=mtr

Would this take the 3" from the cat to 4" on the Diamond Eye muffler:

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/mbr-ua1007/overview/

Best thing would be for you to measure your DE pipe. I would not want to guess at what you need.

I'm at school in OKC and two of my classmates from Cali told me when it comes to older Diesel trucks the inspectors are total Jucking Ferks. Even if you have everything OEM and the smoke check passes they still fail you just because they can. Petty bureaucrats are going to be the death of this country.

" Your papers... they are not in order....":rant:

I'm at school in OKC and two of my classmates from Cali told me when it comes to older Diesel trucks the inspectors are total Jucking Ferks. Even if you have everything OEM and the smoke check passes they still fail you just because they can. Petty bureaucrats are going to be the death of this country.

" Your papers... they are not in order....":rant:

Yeah, it's subjective for sure. Local guy snapped the exhaust and starts counting. I asked him what he was counting and he says how long the smoke lingered. Well, it can't linger longer than 3 seconds as in a continuous stream from the exhaust longer than 3 seconds after the engine 2500 to 3000 rpm, this per the referee. So the local guy was counting how long it took the smoke remnants to disappear, while the referee watches what comes out of the exhaust. Like I said, totally subjective.

The referee said he'd pass me once I restore the section of the exhaust to the cat back to stock 3" size AND I need to pass the above noted smoke test, which I'm not worried about with B99 in it.

I need a permanent solution, at least every two years for the smog check. Something that can be swapped in for the test/inspection and swapped back out for the DE the rest of the time. So, do you want to "lend" or "sell"? If sell, then I'd be interested in just the cat as I don't want to pay to ship pipe. If so, I need to know quickly as my wife is up in the Redding area today and I could redirect her further north to pick it up, though Albany is up there by Corvalis.

Sorry for the delayed reply, been tied up with no chance to go online. If all you need is the cat it is yours for shipping. I don't need the cat, and as far as I know it is still clear. I was not having any problems with it when I went the DE route.

Redding to Albany is a LONG ways, and several hours of driving. I'm 3 1/2 hours north of Medford, which is probably 30 minutes north of the CA/OR border, so I think having it shipped would be cheaper.

Let me know.

Don

Another update on this. Thanks to handcannon, I got his cat converter and it's now installed:

attachment.php

I noted that it looked pretty clogged and the Muffler shop called to tell me the same. I instructed them to clean it, as the converter was simply there for a visual inspection and they don't test the exhaust for what the cat converter works on (NOx). He was able to get it clean with degreasing fluid run from back to front. I noted that the exhaust spewed steam for the first mile home and then cleaned up owing to the B99.

While at the Muffler shop, owner said he had someone with a Duramax facing similar issues as I, but worse. Apparently, the guy was running sequential turbos (small spooling large) and had deleted the cat converter. He had to buy a new cat converter at the dealer to the tune of $1,600. Not sure if he kept his stock turbo.

It's ready for the Smog Referee. I went to schedule an appointment and they only do them on Wednesdays. The open appointment times on March 5 conflicted with business meetings I have in LA, so I had to push it to March 12 at 7:00 AM. Thought about having the wife take it in, but quickly nixed that. :rolleyes5:

Glad it arrived safely and is apparently working for you. I originally didn't think it was plugged, but when I went to package it up for you I knocked a bunch of soot out of it. I hope the cleaning you did on the soot trap works out for you and you get an easy passing grade.

Don

Best wishes on the re-exam by the referees. I'll be monitoring for the results though out of town. Hang tough and good luck.

Went ahead with an afternoon appointment with the smog referee today. Truck passed on equipment and visual smoke test, but their machine could not communicate with my OBD II so they had to failed it. I'm at the initial test station because they called him and he said his machine was able to communicate with it. So I brought it back and it's not communicating.

So I'm wondering, with all the downpipe movement between turbo and exhaust changes, whether a ground got F'd up and that is causing this. Everything else is working and it's not throwing codes.

At this point I am extremely frustrated as this chews up a lot of time. Fortunately, had a window today.

Geez, you sure haven't had a break with that. Throw any wrenches lately?:hihi:

Wow, I'm sure glad I don't live in California.

Do you have a scanner? Does it communicate with the truck? Maybe the problem was on their end ?

Good luck getting it figured out

OK, persistence won out and I got it passed. It took an override with permission from the Director of the Bureau of Auto Repair (BAR). The issue was that my OBD II was not communicating with their equipment. The Director of the State BAR made a couple calls and determined that my vehicle did not require an OBD II system check. They will issue a letter to the testing station and the referee so that they are CYA'd for when they are audited by the State BAR. The State Bar will also issue a bulletin to all testing stations on this vehicle and the issue of not requiring the OBD II system check. I was instructed to keep the printout in my glove box for the next time around.

Finally, he did note that my K47 was not completely closed and that he would fail me next time for that. I pointed out that there are two air filters for that. One is a standard and one is an HD. With the HD, the box does not fully close. He looked it up on his parts system and voila, I was right. The HD filter has a diameter of 184mm and the stock has a diameter of 165mm, yet both are approved for that airbox. I explained that the minimal amount of warm air the gap allows to enter would only benefit the engine in terms of smog production, but he just said next time use the smaller air filter.

So, it's passed. I spent from 2:00 PM to 4:45 PM on this today. Fortunately, I had the window to do it. I was also well into the reserve tank on the B99, so I immediately filled up with $140 of dino diesel afterwards, then went to dinner with my wife and I'm writing this on two jumbo margaritas.

I would like to tank all here for their support, particularly Handcannon for his catalytic converter which will come off this weekend like a bra after the Senior Prom. So, I will swap turbos, remove vac pump, swap exhausts and pack all the smog goodies away on Saturday and head up to Big Bear with some new furniture for the place. The wife has already notified me that she needs the Burb to do some geocaching in the desert. Man, what an ordeal.

What an ordeal!!! I'm glad you finally got it passed. I am so glad I don't have to deal with that smog check here. I wonder if I could be as patient as you've been. There's only two places here in Oregon that do checking, Portland and Medford. I could never stand to live in the Portland area, too many people. The population of the Portland metropolitan area is over 2.2 million. The Medford metropolitan area population is just over 200,000, still too many people. I spent two years in Grants Pass which isn't all that far from Medford.

Don

Back