• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Six-Pac Camper Roof Repair

swinters

Reaction score
I commented in DieselCash's thread "Rebuilding of a Truck Camper" that I had photos of the roof repair I did on my old Six-Pac camper that I haul on my Army surplus CUCV Chevy pickup and was asked to post some so am starting this thread to do that. I've done quite a few of these and have learned a few tricks but am certainly not an expert. I'm not sure of the best way to do this so will do separate posts for each picture so I can include info. This first picture is of the top with the hardware, vents and so on removed and the top ready to roll to the front.

1 Vents Removed.jpg

Second picture shows the mess in the center caused by the low spot in the roof and water seeping in around the center vent. You can see where the previous owner stuff insulation in to try to do something about it. There was a good 1/4 inch of caulk, roof sealers and so on that I had to clean up when I pulled the center roof vent.

2 Metal Roof Rolled Off_Middle.jpg

Fourth photo shows the roof jacked up, rot pulled out, and any darkened wood treated with wood hardener so that it won't absorb water if there are future leaks. There are a number of good wood hardener products (boat parts stores have them) like Git-Rot or you can use fiberglass resin. I used Minwax Wood Hardener on this one since the Lowe's a couple of miles from me carried it and it's a good product.
4 Frame Center Jacked and Hardened.jpg

Sixth photo shows with luan installed. Before putting on the luan I had drilled the stringers for the wiring, insulated, and added a 110V circuit in case I ever wanted to add an a/c unit.
6 Luan Finished Complete.jpg

Seventh photo shows snugging the roof metal with a small ratchet strap after rolling the roof back on (the tractor is just an anchor point - not for pulling).
6 Roof Metal Back On_Tightening.jpg

Eighth photo is with roof and hardware back on, before putting on the EPDM rubber. I gave it a good scrubbing with TSP, rinsed it well, and let it dry before putting on the EPDM.
7 Before EPDM.jpg

Ninth photo is with the EPDM rubber. First time I've used it and I love it. The instructions say to use a roller or a squeegee. Skip the roller. I made a squeegee using a scrap of luan and it worked great.
8 EPDM Middle.jpg

10th photo is of the inside where I'm patching the ceiling that was rotted and warped from the leak. Note the gloss on the wood from the wood hardener. I used luan for the ceiling, too.
9 Ceiling Ready to Install.jpg

Nice workmanship there. :thumbsup:
You can actually put those in a single post and individually label them next time. Try them in the testing area up top.
It wold also be helpful if you filled out your signature for future reference.

Nice workmanship there. :thumbsup:
You can actually put those in a single post and individually label them next time. Try them in the testing area up top.
It wold also be helpful if you filled out your signature for future reference.

Thanks! I tried the single post and it kept timing me out and when I logged back in it had thrown everything away. They need an old, slow, retired dude mode option. This is all new to me. What goes in the signature block? I'm sure there are instructions on here somewhere. Heck, I signed up for this site months ago and just figured out how to do the Avatar yesterday. Probably should ask one of the grandkids for help...

Thanks! I tried the single post and it kept timing me out and when I logged back in it had thrown everything away. They need an old, slow, retired dude mode option. This is all new to me. What goes in the signature block? I'm sure there are instructions on here somewhere. Heck, I signed up for this site months ago and just figured out how to do the Avatar yesterday. Probably should ask one of the grandkids for help...

I checked out the FAQs and think I have the signature block figured out - maybe...

Not only do you have it figured out guns but you're dealing with a BT2 from the USS Boston CA69 (CAG1). Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club '67, '68, '69.

Under fire DMZ 1967.jpg

Not only do you have it figured out guns but you're dealing with a BT2 from the USS Boston CA69 (CAG1). Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club '67, '68, '69.

View attachment 39914

Sweet! The BT's on the ships I was on sure earned their keep and I'm sure yours was the same. Always had to be aboard hours before everyone else so they could light off the boilers and stayed aboard after most others were gone to shut them down. And that's if we weren't anchored out, requiring at least one of our 4 boilers to stay lit. Gunners Mate was a good rate with good training that I used throughout my career as a mechanic and field service representative. Plenty of electrical, electronics, hydraulics, optics, ballistics and so on to put a round down the tube and drop it on a vehicle or something 9 miles away (21 miles with Rocket Assisted Projectiles). It's starting to sound cliché but still, Thanks for your service. Same for the rest of the vets on here, as well as our firefighters and police.

Im looking forward to your future posts. I see the 48 in your avatar?

Welcome to TTS.

Thanks! I watch several sites and have really enjoyed this one. The people here seem to back up their opinions with facts, where some of the others are pretty much just opinions with no details of why. Yup, that's the 48 in my avatar. I have a Chevy motorhome on a P30 chassis that I'm going to strip the motorhome body and cab and put the COE cab on. I also have a wrecked roll-back F450 with only slight damage to the bed (cab and front frame are totaled), so it'll be a roll-back. Would love to go with a diesel and I have several 6.2's from Army CUCV's that I parted out, plus have an 82 6.2 diesel GMC parts truck with a rebuilt 700R4 in it, so have all of the hardware. Haven't decided yet which way to go, but we'll see.

Welcome to the Truck Stop! :thumbsup:

Thanks for sharing, nice work.

You're sure welcome. I'd love to have that camper you're working on and it's going to be great when you're finished. I've been looking for one around here that needs that kind of work and is priced right but haven't had any luck yet. Plenty of projects right now anyway I guess.

Back