• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

What years have what 6.5L cooling?!

Alright. It MIGHT be an AC Delco part number, which if it has no actual GM part number doesn't show up in the EPC. Or it's buiried in accessories or something.

X2 about the fitting on the water pump. I got my restrictor fitting from Heath so I don't know whether it's dealer, AC Delco, or ?. Unless you take the bypass hose off to expose the interior of the fitting that threads into the pump you'll never know if you do or don't have the restrictor fitting.

Don

Well as far as stock production, they are all open according to the EPC so any stock truck wouldn't have the restricted fitting it seems.

You dont want to plug the bypass because its necessary for flow before the thermostat opens to the radiator. Otherwise water would boil in the block and not flow to the thermostat to heat it up and open it, until water temp conducted enough heat all the way to the t-stat.

Unless you find the right sized thermost that when it does open it has a separate stem and plate to block off the bypass, like the 95 and older single stats. Although the restricted bypass while pushing water to the radiator may help maintain a warmer temperature for efficiency/emissions and put less pressure on the radiator. But for pure cooling capability better to not bypass it while the thermostat is open.

Ok, excellent. I was reading on another thread that only 00's had that style clutch/WP, which is why I researched and asked the question. For some reason in 99 automatic trucks kept the old pump and clutch while the manuals got the newest stuff. Interesting for sure.

I think this even varies on the 99's, as our 99 Burb has the spin on clutch... and that is certainly an automatic.

Interesting Mike. There was another RPO associated with with waterpumps, ZK3 which is identified as "pull ahead design". No idea what it means but my truck doesn' t have it. The old style waterpump in 99 needed it and MT1 (auto) to get the old pump in them.

Gm is odd sometimes.

And sometimes guys build something how they see fit, without reading lists or without the actual manuals in site :)

Its funny even on a military weapon system bound to always use printed Technical Orders at all times and still steps are missed.

I think its due to new parts availability vs. depleting old parts and shipments and stock not being 100% accurately rotated??? Maybe GM had by this time had so many bad experiences with the 6.5 they finally learned to phase in changes and see how they perform in the field before making it an across the board all at one time change. Naw that is too much like reason and logical.

Maybe they were splitting production capacity of the new fan with 6.5's and 6.6's ????

Seems like with low production numbers there is more blending of parts number options vs. production year. A high volume production model can absorb more parts in the service and parts inventory and new production can make a "cleaner" break at model years. Comparatively a low volume of production if they shelved all the parts in the pipe so to speak it might take years to deplete service parts inventory ???? That would be expensive and I imagine the bean counters absolutely scream bloody murder if it happens.

For some changes on the 6.5 its best to add one production year if you want to be more sure that you don't have the previous part revision.

I went to the dealer and it seems that water pump fitting part is discontinued in general, and they couldnt say whether they were restricted or not. It is listed as a heater hose item though.

Part number 10183956. Is that the same part number you have found elsewhere?

I know bk95td made one restricted by tapping the fitting and threading in plug of some sort and drilling the middle of the plug or it already had a hole.

My 99 has an auto, and it was built early (in oct), but it has the spin on fan clutch. And it's original for sure. Who knows what GM was up to!

All this thermastate has a extra thing sticking out of it description is not visualizing for me, how bout a pic of the correct thermastat for the diesel retarded members that include me for one. Retards learn lots better when exposed to visual aids..... crayons help stress levels also!!!!!! Duh LOL

Hello friends,
can someone please tell me what thermostat built in in a 1995 6.5td? I have read by SS Diesel Supply a 180 degree is the best ... that is true or what you drive in your engines? Here in Germany you can buy, unfortunately, only 195 degree, and in the summer when I ride my trailer im Mountains it is very hot.
Thank you ..
Gunar

I just use a 195 year round, some have used the 180 with good results. The best thermostat is an AC Delco, the after market ones don't work properly. Make sure the fan clutch is engaging as well.

The main thing is to have your radiator clean, inside and out. It needs to be removed to clean it properly. Some members recommend "Scrubbing Bubbles", let it soak in and rinse with low pressure water and repeat until everything is out of the fins.

Gunar, the only way I know how to check the clutch is to listen for it engaging. It should engage when you tow and the temperature gets around 100 celcius. The rad temperature has to be up there as the air passing through it is what the clutch feels. There is no mistaking when it engages as it really roars.

Back