• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Fluidampr...IMHO Waste of Money

Its probably a product that has the big stamp that "results may vary", depending on how your engine runs now, how balanced it was from factory or rebuild, etc...

And its something that can only be assessed under certain test parameters where external factors could negate any differences. Which is why I am waiting until after I change motor mounts and get the exhaust hanging right.

1) Stock crank is cast and only good for a limited number of cycles before fatigue ultimately takes it.

2) Of the anecdotal observations that the damper caused the crank failure, are we certain that it was not the other way around > the crank failed resulting the observance of a wobbly/failed damper? In other words, could it be that the causal effect of a wobbly/failed damper was a failed crank?

3) The bashing of Chinese rubber parts is unsubstantiated. Virtually all OEM manufacturers have moved some or all of their manufacturing to China. With proper control, their quality has become equal to made in USA. Dorman would fall into this category.

4) If you're talking about Chinese knock offs selling for a substantially lower price, then just remember the adage: you get what you pay for.

5) Buy a P400 engine with a forged crank and be done with it.

6) 17K happy reliable miles on a Dorman damper and still going.

Sure throw money at it and yes you will build a better mousetrap, but one should try to temper things with fiscal considerations.

Yes fluid dampers are a very common stock item on diesels, though I highly doubt the one fitted to Jimmy 2 Stroke is SFI rated!:D

However in this case what Kenny has raised and is in my book a very good point is the necessity of the extra dollars for an item when performing a preventative maintenance procedure on our rigs. One of the issues that I see on these boards is often the lack of tempering the need for certain upgrades from a fiscal standpoint. Not everybody has deep pockets and limited budget readers on these boards need to know how they can get divide that cash out. Let's face it buying a pre2000 rig comes with the base expense of standard wear and tear items before you even get to mods such as PMD, gauges, exhaust etc. A few hundred saved may very well help someone get that tune they've been admiring. I myself cannot seem to find the extra cash lying around to buy a tune and with that in mind I also chose to go the stock replacement damper route to save a few hundred and see nothing wrong with that from a mechanical standpoint.
This kind of touches a nerve for me because last year I took issue with a modification list that is now part of technical reference. One of the items that to my mind was implied one must do, I questioned from an absolute necessity standpoint. Sadly my comments got deleted no biggy it was not a large expense mod. To often I read this is great do this do that and yes whilst it may indeed be great one's motor and life will still be fine without it.

For those coming here less mechanically inclined an evaluation of absolute necessity is very valid as much as it may be an improvement over stock, not all of us walk around with Franklins falling out of our back pockets.

Cheers
Nobby

Sure throw money at it and yes you will build a better mousetrap, but one should try to temper things with fiscal considerations.

Yes fluid dampers are a very common stock item on diesels, though I highly doubt the one fitted to Jimmy 2 Stroke is SFI rated!:D

However in this case what Kenny has raised and is in my book a very good point is the necessity of the extra dollars for an item when performing a preventative maintenance procedure on our rigs. One of the issues that I see on these boards is often the lack of tempering the need for certain upgrades from a fiscal standpoint. Not everybody has deep pockets and limited budget readers on these boards need to know how they can get divide that cash out. Let's face it buying a pre2000 rig comes with the base expense of standard wear and tear items before you even get to mods such as PMD, gauges, exhaust etc. A few hundred saved may very well help someone get that tune they've been admiring. I myself cannot seem to find the extra cash lying around to buy a tune and with that in mind I also chose to go the stock replacement damper route to save a few hundred and see nothing wrong with that from a mechanical standpoint.
This kind of touches a nerve for me because last year I took issue with a modification list that is now part of technical reference. One of the items that to my mind was implied one must do, I questioned from an absolute necessity standpoint. Sadly my comments got deleted no biggy it was not a large expense mod. To often I read this is great do this do that and yes whilst it may indeed be great one's motor and life will still be fine without it.

For those coming here less mechanically inclined an evaluation of absolute necessity is very valid as much as it may be an improvement over stock, not all of us walk around with Franklins falling out of our back pockets.

Cheers
Nobby

WELL SAID !!!
You are much better with words than me.

1) Stock crank is cast and only good for a limited number of cycles before fatigue ultimately takes it.

2) Of the anecdotal observations that the damper caused the crank failure, are we certain that it was not the other way around > the crank failed resulting the observance of a wobbly/failed damper? In other words, could it be that the causal effect of a wobbly/failed damper was a failed crank?

3) The bashing of Chinese rubber parts is unsubstantiated. Virtually all OEM manufacturers have moved some or all of their manufacturing to China. With proper control, their quality has become equal to made in USA. Dorman would fall into this category.

4) If you're talking about Chinese knock offs selling for a substantially lower price, then just remember the adage: you get what you pay for.

5) Buy a P400 engine with a forged crank and be done with it.

6) 17K happy reliable miles on a Dorman damper and still going.

Chinese stuff is all crap. Period. And the parts coming from GM made there show it. I bought a tranny mount for my Burb from Advance, name brand and it was made in china and half the weight of the original and looks cheesy. I have yet to see any quality part come from there a . I am older and been wrenching a long time and the quality of replacement part as of the last 5 years in particular is just disgusting. It makes you want to throw up your hands and say, "Why Bother ?". My CUCV was another recent example when I could not get a quality new heater core for a box style chevy. Damn 10 yrs ago parts for those truck were hanging on the wall in 7-11. I had to pull out the Chinese made piece of garbage and have the original one repaired. Truck has awesome heat now. Many many more examples. The Dorman stuff is junk and there are many many failure stories. Look at Dave's throw out bearing/clutch story. Same with starters and Alternators. Now you can't even go to a local re builder anymore cause even if the rebuild in house, the parts are crap. For the Mechanical Enthusiast, these indeed are dark times.

One of the issues I had , when rebuilding my 6.2 , was the fact that you have to have another balancer to balance the crank , rods , etc before you use the FD . Directions state that you can not balance with the FD . Also , my question is that if you balance to better than production standards , do you need the FD or is the factory unit better able to handle tighter tolerances ? So , buy a new factory unit and have the machine shop balance and then use the FD ? My crank needed some " heavy " metal and hopfully this will let the factory balancer do it's job .

Friggin junk replacement parts!

The rebuild option is appealing with alternators & starters. My only concern is where are the rebuild shops getting their parts to perform the rebuilds from...CHINA? :rolleyes5:

I have stated this before & will prolly many times again "It's a friggin conspiracy by the major auto makers! They do not want us to get any quality parts PERIOD. The big auto makers would just prefer we purchase new and that ain't gonna happen anytime soon here in my driveway..." :nonod:

The fluid dampner looks to be a very stout quality part, nothing implied here by me about that. Just a dam shame we have no other or few quality options for this or any other of the needed replacement parts :mad2:

I think this one has been stated to be a creature comfort and piece of mind modificaiton enough. But we also know that crank failures are common, maybe not with those that know how to maintain the engines, but even then we have a handful of members in the know that have busted a crank. Even with a good stock balancer perhaps.

The discussion is more related to the actual technical merit. I can understand the point of view that its too expensive. However, right now, that "waste of money" title is based on a result of it does nothing. The point that is trying to be made is that it may not have had a fair evaluation yet. Saying something is too expensive is understandable, but a waste is something all together different. And there are a handful of members that have realized improvements, and the guy that designed it has rebuilt probably 1000 of these engines (Jamie Avant at Diesel Depot).

I think this one has been stated to be a creature comfort and piece of mind modificaiton enough.

The discussion is just related to the actual technical merit. I can understand the point of view that its too expensive. However, right now, that "waste of money" title is based on a result of it does nothing. The point that is trying to be made is that it may not have had a fair evaluation yet.

As Kenny I believe implied in his response to my post, poor use of words perhaps.

Kenny I suggest you change the title words 'Waste of money' to 'Unnecessary use of money' to get us all on the same page so to speak.

Cheers
Nobby

Cheers
Nobby

Talk to me, Nobby ... your comments got deleted? Which thread? I only ask because I looked there and can't find any deleted comments (even deleted things are still visible, through my lens). Tim and I don't randomly delete stuff.

Jim

As Kenny I believe implied in his response to my post, poor use of words perhaps.

Kenny I suggest you change the title words 'Waste of money' to 'Unnecessary use of money' to get us all on the same page so to speak.

Cheers
Nobby
I can't change the title. Just didn't think it was worth the money. I don't race my engine and a stock quality balancer does the job just fine. finding a quality one may become the issue though/. As GW pointed out, if they didn't rate it SFI it could probably be had cheaper.

Talk to me, Nobby ... your comments got deleted? Which thread? I only ask because I looked there and can't find any deleted comments (even deleted things are still visible, through my lens). Tim and I don't randomly delete stuff.

Jim

Ditto...I just went through the Library and could not find any posts of Nobby's that were edited out of any library threads...:???:

Back