• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Changing to Projectors then HID's

I can tell you I went to factory projection beams and was looking into the same thing, adding HID's. With just the Silverstar ultras.. I like the color, pattern much better over stock housings.

I did talk to a guy that did do this (projection & HID's) he said the lighting pattern was not very good and it wasn't worth the money to do it. Then again this was a few years ago and the price has gone down from 300 to under 100 bucks.

I have not done it myself yet because of having a fisher plow, my wiring might not have the power at start up. I would have to run new power relays to them and just haven't had the ambition to do it.

I've heard nothing but bad things about those aftermarket projection lenses.

I have HID's in the highs and lows with stock housings and I love them.....

To the OP- does your 95 burb have compositie headlights or sealed beams? If it has the latter, your choices are much more limited...otherwise it uses a standard 9006/9005 bulb combo which you can use the fleabay HID's with no problem.

All you GMT800 guys- remember that the GMC uses a refracting type housing where the lens focuses the light coming through. They tend to make aftermarket HID's look more like floodlights instead of a focused beam. The Chevy housing is a reflecting type that only uses the front lens as a protector. They tend to be much better retrofit candidates for that reason.

For the Ford crowd- The superduties are the same way. The lens is used to focus the beam and it spreads it out more than anything.

Last edited:
I have HID's in the stock housings for the Low's only and Love the light pattern. However, i did notice a few months back in a slight snow fall heading down to so cal, that the HID reflected off the falling snow so bad, that I ended up running parking lights with fogs so I could see the road. I thought about projectors, but was thinking about the Denali Projectors since I have a gmc.
Just something to think about if you decide to run stock housings. Anyone else notice this? or just me?

I have HID's in the stock housings for the Low's only and Love the light pattern. However, i did notice a few months back in a slight snow fall heading down to so cal, that the HID reflected off the falling snow so bad, that I ended up running parking lights with fogs so I could see the road. I thought about projectors, but was thinking about the Denali Projectors since I have a gmc.
Just something to think about if you decide to run stock housings. Anyone else notice this? or just me?

I noticed it too under heavy, heavy snow. We tend to get shit on so in those cases, I have 600 watts of amber PIAA's to use.

Bad luck with pretty much all aftermarket headlights similar to those....they do look sweet though until you actually turn them and and they are junk...:D

Get TYC lenses. They are clear with a lifetime warranty. They will accept a HID retrofit kit better. A buddy of mine has them with HID's. They work great. I have them with regular halogens on my 95.

For the Ford crowd- The superduties are the same way. The lens is used to focus the beam and it spreads it out more than anything.

02+ super duties have reflector housings like the 03+ chevy's. ;)

01 and earlier have refractor housings, like the GMC's.

Back