• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

the everpopular wax thread

richard cheese

the MAIN muff hugga
Reaction score
let me start off by saying that I co-owned a mobile car wash for a number of years while i was going to college. during that time, i had the opportunity to try every time of liquid wax; carnuba, cleaner wax, polymer wax....you name it...i used it. we applied it with a buffer, and took it off by hand, then buffed it with a towel for the best results

i always found myself going back to KIT liquid carnuba wax. it went on/came off real easy, had a good shine, and seemed to last about 2-3 months before needing another coat.

if there were swirl marks, or oxidation, well, then we would use mcGuiers cleaner/wax, then hit it a second time with KIT

Fast forward 15 years

Many on that place "over there"):h began to say that ICE worked really good. I began to use it. I thought it worked OK, gave a good shine, with easy on/off....However...over time, it just wasnt cutting it any more. I did find a good use for it though. I use it to keep my truck trim black....door handles, bumpers, rubber below the windshield, XM antenna. Nothing beat it

I have found what I consider to be the be all end all of waxes

IMG_8281Large.jpg

it is a spray on wax. I have used it when the car was wet after washing, and I have used it after I have dried it. I think putting it on after it is dry works better. This wax gives the softest feeling of paint i have ever felt. the shine is second to none too.

Granted, it doesnt last as long as a hand applied wax, but apply/take off time is virtually cut in half

I'll have to try this one.

My truck sits in the garage so much I can't think it needs a heavy wax. That being said, I did put a heavy wax on about a year ago.

I use Blackfire cleaner/glaze and then wax... it takes the better part of 3 hours to clay bar, polish, and then wax the truck but the end result is excellent. I get this stuff from a detail supplier in Tampa. Their wet diamond wax is an oil suspension wax that doesn't build up in crevices or around door handles and textured plastic. Makes even the GM orange peel black paint look really good.

http://properautocare.com

Sometimes I use the 7424 with microfiber applicators (never with a cutting pad and polish... I'm too much of a wuss to do risk screwing up my paint). That thing is more for heavy duty use and not routine waxing. It just isn't necessary to use every time.

A product to cure the orange peel from the factory on GM!!!??? Wish I knew about that now...I paid $3k to a painter to fix it on my Hummer that I used to have....

Cure? Ha, you're funny. :D
The dealer offered to wet sand and polish a couple of areas on my truck when I complained about it... decided against that for obvious reasons.

No, it's still there, just the rest of the truck is more shiny and you (I) don't notice it as much.

got this really good stuff made in Yonkers. They make the wax for car dealers and detailer's. A little pricey but the stuff can do my truck probably 15 times over. Works really well too. i will get you guys a number later if anyone wants.

here are some pics

Here are the results from Waxing my truck last week. the other pics are from my wife's tahoe that was waxed a month ago...notice the beading action. Now keep in mind, when i wash, i do not use soap, only a soft brush and a pressure washer from no closer than 3 ft, as i have found when you get closer it will take wax off...and too close, well, other things start to fly off:crazy:

Attachments

• easter 2008 042.jpg
    easter 2008 042.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 20
  • easter 2008 044.jpg
    easter 2008 044.jpg
    12.4 KB · Views: 17
  • easter 2008 045.jpg
    easter 2008 045.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 20
  • easter 2008 047.jpg
    easter 2008 047.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 20
  • easter 2008 049.jpg
    easter 2008 049.jpg
    11.4 KB · Views: 16
I just bought some of the Eagle One as suggested...and found some ICE while I was at it. Gave it a once over with the wax...not sure how good it is as wax goes, but WOW...it was really fast, and it pulled water spots off so good I even used it on the windows.

Thanks for the great tip! :thumbsup:

I think a lot depends on the color of the truck. On my black trucks, swirls can be an issue so I have a detailer give it the once over. With my truck, which is silver birch, I clay it and then use a product called "Speed Bead" from Stoner. Works very well for me and is quick and easy.

i use some stuff called waterless car wash, i kno the name is stupid but it works great and last a good while too

Wouldn't you know it...got 'er all shined up real purty over the weekend...and it just rained out and I have pollen and water all over my truck...:svengo:

Back