• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Tricks for leveling campers (side to side)

MTdmax2003

Recruit
Reaction score
Who has good tricks or ideas for leveling your campers side to side? I have no problem with front to back. We end up camping on uneven areas with my 5er and I haven't come up with good ways to level it side to side. I can get it level side to side but then I have trouble getting the camper hooked back up to the truck because the king pin is at such an angle.

Unfortunately, my 5th wheel plate doesn't pivot side to side, only front to back. Any idea how much a side pivoting 5th wheel plate would cost?

Unfortunately, my 5th wheel plate doesn't pivot side to side, only front to back. Any idea how much a side pivoting 5th wheel plate would cost?

I'm not sure but you may have to get the whole hitch?

Last edited:
I carry pre cut 2" X 12" lumber that is the length of the distance from my front wheel to the rear wheel (so both wheels fit on it) and then I pull in to the site determine what side needs to be raised, back up far enough to place the boards down and then pull up on to them. With a bit of time you can be pretty acurate.
I have a reese 16k with slider that pivots, I paid less than $700 for it new.

X2 on the 2x12 for the tires and my front jacks have the adjustable slides with many a holes for when you are hitching or unhitching. Just look at the ground before you try to unhitch. Rear jacks also help alot.

I use the 2x's also...with a level on the front of the trailer so I can see how much lumber is needed. Staggering the boards so one wheel is on one, and the other on two splits the difference too.

How many 2X's are you guys talking about? stacking them 2 or 3 high?
Thanks for the good ideas. I wish I had the air bags. That sounds like that would be the easiest.

I carry 3 2x in the truck bed, use what ever I need when we pull in the site, works great. My hitch pivots side to side also.

Take the same number of 2x's that level the trailer and place a 2nd set on the same side under the rear wheel of the truck. You may want to drill some small holes and drive some spikes into the ground to keep the driven wheel from pushing the board(s).

You could also carry a straight 2x6x8' and place it on edge at the point that you want the rear axle of the trailer to be after you have parked. Use a level on the board to determine how many blocks will be needed to provide a level platform. Set those blocks and back the trailer in. Just before the trailer climbs the blocks, set the same number (or similar according to terrain) in back of the rear axle of the truck. Back the trailer and truck onto the blocks.

(If the road is crowned and you want to use the leveling board, simply place a block under each end of the leveling board, then figure out how far out of level the pad is and use the appropriate number to level the trailer.)

Last edited:
Thanks for the great ideas! I'm itching to go camping now! :driving: Unfortunately too busy next weekend. Too many kids activities going on.

How many 2X's are you guys talking about? stacking them 2 or 3 high?
Thanks for the good ideas. I wish I had the air bags. That sounds like that would be the easiest.

I carry two 2x12 that just fit in to my longest compartment and a bunch of 12x12 pieces for the down riggers.

i only camp in the sand, and the sand makes it easy to shovel from underneath the tires of the high side...for you...you might need to crank the jacks for more than just "stability", if you know what i mean

Back