• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

2nd gear launch

IdahoRob

Reaction score
Thought I'd post up to get things rolling on my favorite subject.

I've been running 1st gear delete at the track lately. Launching in second gear really helps when the track prep is less than stellar. I can still cut faster 60' times in 1st gear and a really sticky track, but not by much.

I cut a 1.689 60' with a second gear launch. This is leaving at 3000 rpm with a SC1057. I'll be trying out a much tighter converter soon to see how that works.

I've been leaving in 2nd also but at about 3200 rpm's and been getting consistent 1.73 60ft times but that is with a 1056 converter and our track prep down here is garbage.

Well, had a little trouble running the second gear launch the other night.

95 degree temps and I ran two events. I made it into the finals of both events, so there was some hot lapping involved. In the semi's of one event I made a pass after sitting at the line waiting for a 17 sec diesel to go against my 12.00 dial in. Made it to the return road and the converter would not unlock, truck lugged badly until BANG. It unlocked and tranny temps were in the 250 range.:sad:

I had to run three more passes, so I went back to first gear launches and let it eat. Worked fine on those passes with 1st gear.

Still driving it, but not sure if the converter is hurt or a valve just stuck.

hot....................gonna make a few passes in a week or two.........got a few refinements to discuss .........ill call in a day or so

Well, had a little trouble running the second gear launch the other night.

95 degree temps and I ran two events. I made it into the finals of both events, so there was some hot lapping involved. In the semi's of one event I made a pass after sitting at the line waiting for a 17 sec diesel to go against my 12.00 dial in. Made it to the return road and the converter would not unlock, truck lugged badly until BANG. It unlocked and tranny temps were in the 250 range.:sad:

I had to run three more passes, so I went back to first gear launches and let it eat. Worked fine on those passes with 1st gear.

Still driving it, but not sure if the converter is hurt or a valve just stuck.
:yikes: hope something just stuck

I'll be testing a new converter in a couple weeks and I'll send the SC1057 to Suncoast for a look inside during this testing period.

The truck is operating normal so far. The 2nd gear launch is sweet, but the converter must take a pretty good hit at the line while boosting to 3000 RPM.

I bet it does, atleast your getting that high, the most I could get was 2000 and 6 lbs of boost, new efi live tune is wroking better but have not beed to the track to test.

Back