• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Modding a 8 lugs rear axle to a 6 lugs

matuva

Tropical 6.5er
Reaction score
New Caledonia. An island in south west pacific, cl
I remeber I have read a post explaining that you can install a K2500/3500 rear end on a k1500.

The k2500/3500 being 8 lugs, there is a kit which can transform them to a 6 lugs, adding rear disc brakes at the same time.

As I am very intelligent guy, I found this very interesting but completely forgot to bookmark the thread, and the URL of the 8 to 6 lugs conversion kit...

Any of you heard about that?

I have done it the hard way a few times on my offroad race truck, by plugging the 8 lug pattern and redrilling the 5 or 6 on 5 1/2 inch pattern. It is way more work than it is worth to do it that way. Geartech makes hubs, but there are other issues and drawbacks. The main problem is the center hole in the 5 or 6 on 5.5 wheel is smaller than the diameter of the hub snout. The smallest you can get the snout is about 4.230 inch, which is still bigger than the wheel hole, so the wheels must be machined out to match. Next you have to turn the OD of the axle shaft drive flanges to the same 4.230 diameter, and use special reduced diameter socket head screws to clamp down on the drive flanges. Next you will find very little room between the lug nuts and the snout.. With 9/16 or 5/8 nuts, you must turn down the diameter of a socket to paper thin walls. I have 5/8 studs on my race truck and have cracked a couple turned sockets. If I had to do it again, I would either buy a custom 6 on 5.5 ford 9" axle from one of the millions of 9 inch builders, or change the front end to 8 lug too and get new wheels. I tried to upload pics of my custom hubs, but had problems with the uploader just now. I will try again tomorrow.

http://www.geartechhd.com/4x4-

I converted my Suburban to 6 lug & made my own big brake set up for the front. I just swaped all the stuff from a "heavy half ton". Reason was alot more wheel choices in 6 lug.

DSCN3610.JPGDSCN3457.JPGDSCN3458.JPGDSCN3613.JPG

It is much harder to convert a 14bff than what he described. Semi float 9.5 inch 14 bolts were common on suburbans. All it takes to convert a semi float is to order new axle shafts and swap them in.

I swaped the complete axle on the rear to a 14 bolt SF 6 lug. Front was all bolt on stuff from a 6 lug 2wd truck except I did make a big brake kit with 2 piston caliper. Had to machine the original rotor to work with a new style rotor. I have a post on it here.

DSCN3423.JPGDSCN3426.JPGDSCN3425.JPGDSCN3428.JPGDSCN3456.JPG

By the way, my question migth look a bit dumbass, but, can you just swap a 14 bolts rear end assy on a k1500 replacing it with a 14 bolts from a K2500/3500, just as a bolt on? or does that involves fab, mods and lot of extra work to make it fit?

You can fit a 14 bolt semi float or full float axle onto a 1/2 ton truck, but only if the 14 bolt came from a 3/4 ton truck. One ton trucks have a heavier frame, and the spring-to-spring width is narrower: 40.5 inches wide, verses 42.5 inches wide on 1/2 and 3/4 ton trucks. Follow that link to Pirate 4x4 for all the info in the world on axles, especially the 14bff.

Thats what I did, sort of. You'll probably need different ujoint and parking brake cables. AFAIK thats it?

Back