• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Would you buy an OBD2 version of GMTDScan and what would you pay ??

Would you buy an OBD2 version of GMTDScan and what would you pay? ?

• No, I would not buy it.

Votes: 2 6.1%
  • Yes, I would pay up to 100$

Votes: 3 9.1%
  • Yes I would pay up to 150$

Votes: 16 48.5%
  • Yes I would pay up to 250$

Votes: 12 36.4%

• Total voters

Acesneights1

Reaction score
I was emailing back and forth with Steph from engh Motors. For those unfamiliar he makes the best , most user friendly software specifically written for the 6.5 TD I have ever seen. I don't think I know anyone who has it and does not like it. He said he never followed through with an OBD2 version because he wasn't sure if there was enough interest based on the OBD1 version but I disagree. Since OBD2 covers alot more years and the only alternative to a Tech2 is Carcode which IMHO sucks ass or AE which does not do everything GMTDScan can do with an OBD1. I'm not really looking for alternatives, just a simple poll . Would you buy it and what would you pay ?
I would gladly pay 200$ being that I have used the OBD1 version and being a curmudgeon I can honestly say I love it and it's simple to use even for those who hate computers.
Just to be clear I have no stake nor am I affiliated with Engh. Just would love to see a new version...I hate carcode. Did I mention I hate carcode ??

yes i would pay 250 bucks for it. AE is expensive and carcode doesent sound fun and im going to need a scan tool in a little less than a year so this would be great if he made it.

The only thing CarCode has going for it is wide use. It can connect to all sorts of vehicles. GMTDScanTech is the easiest, best thing I have used, but specific to the 6.5. I would easily pay $150 for it, OBD2 6.5 only solution. CarCode was about $250 I think, but works on my other vehicles too. After taking the programming apart and ALDL file, the OBD1 solution isn't too hard, but he packaged it very well.

I have 3 obd2 trucks and will need to scan and time them eventually. A obd2 version of scantech would be great. I hate the tiny screens of the expensive scan tools.

Its a no brainer. If you build it, they will come.

I even asked if he could do one for the TCM equiped trucks.

If I ever get one of my obd-2 trucks running, possibly. I have Carcode now. If I used it more I may start to dislike it.

The current Scantech rocks.

Carcode is alright to set the timing, its not great for that, but GMTDScanTech has so simple viewing of the sensors, troubleshooting buttons and simple screenshots, and the memory dump.

Its easy because its custom tailored for us, our one application, compared to 1000 different models.

Well this is just fancy timing.... I've been after an ex-GM dealer to sell me his Tech2 for some time now. I always have to borrow it to set timing(and usually return it with a $10 bill). Just a couple days ago, he asked me if I still want it because he wants to sell. It's probably worth 2-3 times what this software would cost. If this is going to happen, I'd like to know quick so I can save some money and pass on the Tech2!

I guess to answer the poll, yes I would be interested in OBDII software for my 6.5L at any price less than a used GM scanner!

I would be interested in the Tech2, had one at the dealer and used it all the time, I loved it, then I got into something else instead of fixing cars, (I won't tell) I wished I would have stayed. I think that my old employer threw the Tech 2 out after it became obsolete for their models

"Its a no brainer. If you build it, they will come."

X10!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yep it the parts manger who also ran the tool crib didn't know the value of obsolete tools. I was sick when I heard that, we also used to have the old OBD1 chip burner and then the new burner for the newer OBD2 it ran through the Diagnostic link and you had to have the manufacturer code for what ever it was they could do . Only one guy had access to that and it wasn't me. They threw out more old OTC tools and other stuff than you could imagine.

Holy smokes. The things that some people do....

This Tech2 is only updated to '98 because that was the last year the dealership was in business. But that works fine for what I need it for! I acutally broke down last winter and bought an OTC Genisys because not having a good scan tool cost me a whole week of working out in the freezing temps trying to get a pickup started. Had a bad ECM all along....

Yeah, I hear ya Ace! :agreed:

If I could ever afford a newer 6.5TD truck than yes. I just see no way of that happening any time soon.

generally, selling a vehicle is a quick and easy way to generate some funds for another one! :agreed::thumbsup:

but on topic, I will need to do something computer wise. I willl be swapping engines in the 96 soon, and wont touch the pump, and hope that it will run fine, but eventually I will need to adjust TDCO on the whole fleet to try and optimize power and fuel economy, and will need a good software system that is user friendly, as I still dont fully understand how the whole computer system works on these, so user friendly yet powerful software is a must.

Holy smokes. The things that some people do....

This Tech2 is only updated to '98 because that was the last year the dealership was in business. But that works fine for what I need it for! I acutally broke down last winter and bought an OTC Genisys because not having a good scan tool cost me a whole week of working out in the freezing temps trying to get a pickup started. Had a bad ECM all along....
A Tech 2 should be able to be updated at any GM dealership.

Back