• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Won't go into Park!

treegump

Romans 3:22-24
Reaction score
I drove 2 hrs to pick up a coworker from the airport and when I went to put it into park, the lever went all the way up, but the marker only went as far as R. It feels like the lever is slipping in the column. I only got it into park by pushing the lever on the side of the transmission up all the way. But I didn't see any slippage under the truck.

Anybody know of anything in the shifter falling apart? And if so or not, can anyone tell me how to take apart the column to investigate further?

Thanks for anything!

I don't know because I don't know how to get into the steering column. Does anyone know or have a link to pictures, diagrams, and/or instructions on how to get into the column w/o breaking anything? Or to very the shifter boot off w/o tearing it? Because I'd really like to take a look at the base of the shifter handle.

'Most' columns rotate a sleeve the length of the column. The linkage hooks up under the hood at the end close to the firewall.

Ok, sorry....a plastic clip broke underneath the truck, against the transmission. :( I tightened the piece by rotating it and tying it with baling wire. :)

Ok, sorry....a plastic clip broke underneath the truck, against the transmission. :( I tightened the piece by rotating it and tying it with baling wire. :)

Same thing happened on my '96 GMC years ago. I wired it up and left it. Sold the truck to a friend who drove it for a few years with no problem. Crappy design if you ask me.

It didn't look like a switch, it just looked like something that puts pressure on the line so that shifting is tight, but what keeps the pressure tight are plastic props, which is STUPID because it's right out there in the open. I wouldn't be surprised if a rock just popped up and broke it. :-(

Talk about forgetting something...
7ara7aha.jpg

ysetamud.jpg

Back