• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

WMI reservoir location

chessie 6.5

Reaction score
Got my Heath WMI today.:thumbsup: Looks decent, but a little pricey for what you get. Anyway, what size reservoir are you guys using and where are you locating it. I will be doing a cross country travel trailer towing next year hopefully. Probably a 6500 lb tow with it loaded. Otherwise, I don't tow much.

I would recommend at least 5 gallons, and only use 10% methanol, 20% max ever. Mine is in the bed tool box. Some have though to use something you can fit in the passenger frame rail, like a PVC tube capped on the end and tapped with fitting for an output and a fill tube.

I may be crazy but I thought I heard of someone using the fuel tank for WMI and install an in bed fuel tank. Or drop the spare tire and install WMI tank there.

From my experience you're going to have to experiment with a five gallon can or two just to see what your consumption is when you're pulling the load. With my A Team Turbo my boost is lower so I don't need as much water flow. I have the controller set on the minimum pressure settings (on at 2# and full on at 5#) and I can make a 7-1/2 gallon water jug last for a couple of tanks of fuel. The Heath guys will tell you you can use as much as your normal fuel flow if you're pulling hard. So figure a tank as big as your fuel tank in that case and fill them both at your fuel stop. I think I'd have to run two nozzles to move that much water. When it's working good I get a couple hundred degrees drop in EGT on a long hill.

Options

Buddy's suggestion to get an idea of what you're using is a good one. I plan on using a dual set up over the wheel wells so with the Methanol additives in the winter, I'll see the traction benefits w/o having to add sand bags which have to be moved to load anything.

Thanks for the link Guybb3, I'll explore that one in depth later on when I get the current projects finished...if ever. :rof:

Here's a couple to you visualize what you may want to eventually use.

9 Gallon tank mounted at the tailgate. Local driving below 1000' alt.
DSC00725.jpg

25 gallon water tank mounted under a 30 Gallon Propane tank next to the cab.
CIMG1081.jpg
Tool box sits behind the figure "8" set up with the Zex Nitrous system cleaverly hidden within.
Truck w/ Gm-8 gets 23 MPG on WMI alone cruising at 62mph which is where he likes to drive. On our road trip last AUG we maintained 75-85mph. So, that 23mpg he normally got...not so much. We'd consume about 1:1 fuel to H2O plus the propane. Something to consider if you're towing cause we were loaded out at 8500lbs plus and not towing a thing but my big ars and traveling at altitudes above 4000 and up to 8000 for most of the 5000 mile trip.

LSR w/60 gallon center mounted in the bed for stability at speeds in excess of 155mph. :hihi:
CIMG1591.jpg
Go big or go home!

Actually, the smaller tank in the lower left corner is the one the motor uses for the actual runs. But, the 2500 he uses for hauling has a 60 gallon tank mounted in the same position to sustain long x-country runs.

attachment.php

More pics and info on the dually please!

Just got a tank from US Plastics. Thanks for the referral guybb3. 16 gallon. Very nice and has 5 inch lid and a drain or supply fitting already installed with a 1/2 inch pipe thread. Also has markings on end of tank for gallonage. 17x17x21 inches long. They had smaller ones also. About 80 bucks shipped. I'm thinking of mounting in front corner of cap, above the top rail.

Am installing the wmi now. Noticed that the tank has 4 - 5/16 inch metal inserts molded into tank bottom for mounting. Going to make installation much easier

Have come back from 800 mile round trip. Glad I got the 16 gallon reservoir or I would have had to stop and find water to fill it mid trip. BTW it has a drain already installed and the Heath strainer tank tap fit right into the threaded drain. Tightened the nut on fitting and it sealed right up.

Back