• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Why secure you injector lines?

Will L.

Reaction score
My 87 mercedes 300 turbo diesel. A year or so after I bought it 2014ish, a fuel injector line broke. No retainer clips on the lines. P.o. Had the Ip rebuilt and they didn't secure the lines proper. I bought all 6 new lines, replaced the broken 1 and left the others on the parts shelf for when I got to it. Turns out it is a great car, but I am north of 6' and and 250- so I hate the car. Hate to work on it. Had my teenage son and his cousin install the others last year. Apparently they too, didn't properly install the line retaining clips, which suck more than 6.2/ 6.5 clips btw.

Yesterday driving home loss of power- misfire-and I find a fresh coat of diesel fuel all over the engine again:eggface:

Folks, secure the lines from vibration. I have seen this many times on 6.5s. I was going to just swap in that old line and call it a day, but @Paveltolz stopped by my house today for a quick visit on his way home from a jobsite and thought pics could help others learn from my example.

Btw, if you get the chance to meet him- do so. Good guy. (Maybe instead of a new milkjug we should start a 6.5 oilpan for all to sign. I can donate a pan and paint it white)

IMG_3007.JPG
IMG_3008.JPG

This line is high quality, from dealership. Usually last forever- good for over 500,000 miles. Lost the retainer clip probably 3-6 months ago. Not even 10,000 miles on it is my guess.

Vibration kills engines. Heat is the #1 killer of diesels, vibration is #2. Check your lines, make sure there is no freeplay. I always hated the line route on 6.2/6.5. Keep thinking about having flexable lines made just to see... but once they are inplace properly and you check them as secure once in a while, they a good for a long time.
Less than 1/2 hour and I put an old line back on and running great. But don't go theough this yourself.

Anyone see where I left my can of engine cleaner for all this dripping diesel?...

Them hold downs have to be there. It's not just the engine vibrations, it's everytime the pump injects fuel through that line, it creates a small shockwave from the pressure traveling through it which as you learned, can crack the best quality lines.

There is a 95 Peterbilt with a 3406C left in the fleet at work, and to this day will break the same injector line every 20k miles. The mechanics (parts changer types) looked at me like I had six heads when I told them to fasten the hard lines like CAT had it from the factory and they wouldn't have to go on road calls so often.

Meh.. drivers don't know anything.. o_O

Back