• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Why its necessary to remove oil cooler, and radiator to clean them periodically.

bowtiebutler956

Reaction score
WarWagon suggested I post these pictures here of the type of buildup that can happen behind your oil cooler, and between the a/c condenser, and radiator. As you can see by the pic below, it would be very difficult for air to flow threw there! If your trucks running a little warmer than normal, this would be something to check out.

Matt

Attachments

• IMG_20140707_130541 (1024x768).jpg
    IMG_20140707_130541 (1024x768).jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 74
I have been looking for my pics of this for like 5 years and finally found them.
Hmm.... Probably time to go get new pics and clean it out again. :hihi:

mat.jpg

mat2.jpg

mat3.jpg

mat4.jpg

Mine is not nearly that bad on the 96, but the whole radiator has crap in it. I just relocated my oil cooler under the cab/bed and will be pulling the radiator soon for cleaning.
My old 94 was about as bad as you guys.

I made a blower for cleaning out that buildup.
I used a brake line crimped and folded the end then drilled a small hole for compressed air to come out, at the other end I soldered an air fitting. This makes the cleaning process easy and without the need to remove anything other than the upper radiator brackets so this DYI tool can be inserted from the top and blowing out towards the front of vehicle.

Coincidentally thought about this on the drive to work today . . .

Seems like the build-up is from stuff that 'eddies' in, correct? If so, is there any type of material to make a flange which covers the gap?

Coincidentally thought about this on the drive to work today . . .

Seems like the build-up is from stuff that 'eddies' in, correct? If so, is there any type of material to make a flange which covers the gap?
A good closed cell foam or some type of rubber gasket can suffice if installed around edges aux coolers, condenser and radiator.

There isn't room for stuff to get in from the sides or fall off when the engine is off. The stuff you see went through the wide gap oil cooler fins and stuck on the narrow gap condenser fins.

There isn't room for stuff to get in from the sides or fall off when the engine is off. The stuff you see went through the wide gap oil cooler fins and stuck on the narrow gap condenser fins.
My tool can be used to clean that by covering the back of the cooler with card board then blowing from behind the radiator. Those images remind me of the sand storms I had been caught in out there in AZ clogging up the works .

most of mine look like that before I attack. :)

It gets gutted on the cement pad, then I chain myself to the sawhorses straightening radiator fins. once I get it all clean, even a stock 95 low output system can keep the engine cool @ 20,000 combination.

Back