• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Whistle while you work... GM-8 and soot trap-ectomy

knkreb

The Bus Driver is here!
Reaction score
So Mr. Sooty is history... wow... that was one heck of a restriction. Took pics, will post later.

So, with help of my son tonight, we castrated the exhaust. When it hit the ground I told him it was time for the celebratory "sing." Whenever the soot trap was off the Bus 1, it would whistle at idle... oh what a sweet sound. So, tonight, start it up... no sing, no whistle, no nuttin'. Just a barking engine. Hmmm... turbo is spinning (checked it out) but still no whistle.

Anyone else have a similar experience with theirs?

That was pulling off the turbo inlet hose to see if the blades were turning.

When I had first installed my exhaust a few years ago I couldnt hear much of any whistle at all with just the down pipe. Removing the intake elbow to the turbo resulted in no noise at all. I would have thought the opposite. It wasnt untill I had installed the rest of the exhaust did I hear the nice whistle at idle. I think the engine noise drownds it out.

Can you hear it by raising the rpms?

Fixed it... wastegate was wired shut with no play in it.... however, it must have flexed under load... I did gain an extra second now from 0-60 (14 sec) and the SES light works for overboost. Whahoo.

Add a $5 boost fooler to silence the codes, and keep the boost at 12ish lbs (was the sweet spot for me)
Enjoy!

I'm of the camp of keeping it within the tolerances of designed "stresses". 12 psi is 'nuff for me...

6.5 TD's do not whistle while they work.

What were you thinking? :dunno:

Even at 14 PSI with a straight through flowmaster they don't make noise.

Only with the windows down and getting off the throttle from WOT will you hear a GMX turbo. And with the above silencers removed including the restrictive fender snorkel if equipped being gone.

My exhaust is cut right at where the soot trap was. I get whistle on acceleration between 1200 and 1800 rpms before it drops under the rumble of the engine.

no whine at idle but the couple of times I stood behind it when someone else was moving it I could defineately hear it.

I got Just a sweet wistle at spooling up or down around 3 PSI,sounds cool.I can just hear it over the tonnites flute( that trompet never stops,day or night) with my gun blown ears
Kitten gutted,silencer in place,window closed.

Back