• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Which starter for 6.2?

RNation

Reaction score
Anybody know the specs or a model number for a starter that works well with the 6.2? I've heard that the one that the autoparts store gives you is the wrong one and doesn't last long at all.

Somehow on mine the 2 long and narrow bolts that run through the whole thing actually loosened up. I tightened them up and it'll start now but the starter sounds different now so I'm not sure how much longer it'll last.

27Mt is the direct drive factory starter. Very heavy starter. Works fine though. Had one in my blazer, only reason it died was because a field coil shorted out. It happens.

Newer starter is the 28MT, which is the gear reduction starter. It's used in the 88+ 6.2s and the 6.5s. Nothing wrong with the 28MT. I have one in my blazer now, and it spins the engine over like crazy.

Don't buy a parts store starter. Made in China/mexico/etc garbage. That's why they don't last. Rebuild your original, or have it rebuilt. The 27MTs are very easy to rebuild.

Also make sure you have the starter brace installed. If you don't have it installed you can break starter bolts, or even snap off the corner of the block where the starter mounts. Bracket for 27MT is ~$7 from the dealer. Bracket for 28MT is ~$14 from dealer.

Thanks for the info. My starter solenoid I think went bad. Theres power to the glow plugs and everything else electric but when I turn the key all the way I get nothing. I've had bad connection problems on the starter before but when that happened I didn't get power to anything. I don't know how or why the bolts that hold the starter unit together loosened up, but maybe I can squirt some lock tight on them and tighten back up?

Whats all included in a starter rebuild? Would it determine whats wrong with it?

The bracket is the part the back bolt (the ones that loosened up on my starter) goes through a small dime size hole? If so mines there.

Good. Make sure you put it back. Use a dab of antisieze on the bolt that goes into the block. They tend to rust and snap off.

Ok, should I take it off then and do that? The bolts that loosened are the bolts that actually hold the starter unit together. The bracket hasn't moved. Although the stud on the starter that goes through the bracket barely goes through it, I think the bracket is about 3/16 inch thick and the stud only goes maybe an 1/8 inch into the bracket. I don't know if that good enough or not.

Also I changed my solenoid but I have the same problem. The starter would only spin when I tapped on it with a hammer, but smoke was coming out of it. So I'm guessing it's the starter and am going to get it rebuilt.

the stud is about 1/4" long(enough to go through and put a nut on). the 2 bolts that hold the starter together are coated with some form of rubber inside the housing. this way the don't create an unwanted contact point. if the come out easily there's you short, most likely the field coils. the bolts run inbetween them. I see if I can get a pic or link for the diagram for it.

as for which one works better....
I've had both,cooked both but the 27mt(direct drive) took more as far as abuse went. the catch is you need GOOD cables and a decent batteries. the 28mt takes less power(better for winter) but I found that it wasn't always fast enough. JMHO

Attachments

• starter.pdf
    1.3 MB · Views: 25
Last edited:
Best starter....The 24v one in my CUCV. Ask Dave, he heard it. Like night and day. I believe it's a DD.

Yes that sucker spins. It sounds like a DD starter on PCP. It makes my blazer's 28MT sound sick, and my starter whirls my engine over with no effort.

Kenny yes your starter should be a DD if it's the original.

88 was the first year for factory 28MT Gear reduction units.

I am sure 1988 was a mid year change to the gear reduction. I still recall the sudden weight as the last bolt came free as I changed my first 6.2 starter on the 1988 Suburban due to the commentator coming apart and trashing the brushes. It had a copper bar come 1/4" out! It pinned my hand and hurt the rest of the day...

It was direct drive and a boat anchor for sure!

Yes that sucker spins. It sounds like a DD starter on PCP. It makes my blazer's 28MT sound sick, and my starter whirls my engine over with no effort.

Kenny yes your starter should be a DD if it's the original.

88 was the first year for factory 28MT Gear reduction units.

sounds like a 12v unit with 24v applied to it.

I had my starter checked out and the guy said the armatures are bad. He said (his shop is on his farm so he's not a big buisness type) he couldn't get them from his supplier and that he would have to send it in to be re-wound wich would cost more than to buy a rebuilt one.

Also, gm wasn't finding 27 mt. Is that another company part number?

I found one close by but it is at oreillys. I know I shouldn't have got it but it's got a lifetime (limited lifetime, whatever that is) warranty, and I got to get to work tommorrow. It's Ultima brand, anyone know if that's anygood or not?

I found one close by but it is at oreillys. I know I shouldn't have got it but it's got a lifetime (limited lifetime, whatever that is) warranty, and I got to get to work tommorrow. It's Ultima brand, anyone know if that's anygood or not?

Fret not. I bought one of their starter for my Ford 6.9. It lasted about 14 months. Was it the very best long term solution? Nope. Did it get me out of a tight spot on a Sunday afternoon and keep me going for awhile? Absolutely.

You'll be fine.

Cool, it definately got me out of a spot.

Anybody know the best of the best brands for starters? It seemed oreillys had other ones (I didn't know until I looked at their website). I only remember AC Delco and Ultima brands. Which I thought (not for certain) AC Delco was a good one.

The direct drive starters are heaavy for sure but, they have heavy windings and will take one Helluva beating.

The little gear reduction starters are far less rugged. They do seem to work fairly well though.

Definately a lot easier to hold in position while you get the bolts in.

Missy

I got the direct drive one just because that's what was originally on there. And ya that thing is a pita to hold like you said. Now that I've taken it on and off a few times I've gotten a routine for it...haha. I did almost drop it on my head the other day though, I thought the bolt was holding it good but apparently not.

Back