• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Where might I pick up bits to repair the vaccum tubing?

TurboTahoe

Recruit
Reaction score
Augh!

I was diagnosing the vacuum solenoids for wastegate operation and EGR control, and the vacuum lines were so brittle a couple of them snapped off! AUGH! I suppose I could buy a factory replacement, but it seems to me that one might be able to fabricate something less hokey than the plastic lines they use. Has anyone done this, or have any suggestions?

Thanks,

Rob :)

posted this in DP as well. if you need lines i've got the factory set from a "F" engine. if i can fish them out without busting any i'll let you know.

Rob,
I snapped one of mine a few years back. I needed a "temporary" fix so I rummaged around and found some fairly stiff tubing that fit snuggly over the vacuum lines. I cut a short piece of that to use as a "splint" and put a piece of shrink wrap over the whole repair.

Figured that would last me until I could replace the line once the parts stores were open. It's still in there...:smilielol5:

Thanks guys.

After noodling about this quite a bit, I have placed an order for both the factory vacuum lines and the EGR solenoids. My reasoning is that if I sell the Tahoe, or if we move to a state that has inspections, I will need to show that the EGR system is operational and stock. Sigh.

Do I need to pull the upper intake in order to replace the vacuum harness, it looks like it.

Rob ;)

Did you test to see if solenoids are bad, I hate for you to spend coins on something not broke

Hi Tim,

How do I test 'em? I guess it's easy with the wastegate solenoid - it sucks the wastegate closed. However, I don't know about how the EGR ones work...

Thanks,

Do you guys know how to test the EGR solenoids? Is it simply straight 12 v to the electrical side, and then use of a vacuum gauge and mity-vac to determine if it is working?

Thanks,

Sorry for late reply I got covered up with "honey-dos" yesterday, yes solenoids are 12v just PWM actuated by puter, so energize them with 12 and the will pull in solenoids, now here is tricky part, IIRC some are activated to open and some activate close, so before powering up see if you can blow thru it, energize solenoid and see if it closes the internal port while you blow across it.

Back