• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

When do you usually fill up / stop for fuel?

When do you usually fill up / stop for fuel?

• Total voters

CtChevy427

Still Kicking....
Staff member
Lead Moderator
Reaction score
This weeks contribution by schiker.....

Thanks schiker

1. Near empty E stands for enough
2. 1/8 tank
3. 1/4 tank
4. 3/8 tank
5. 1/2 tank
6. 5/8 tank
7. 3/4 tank
8. When ever I need to stop drink break etc.
9. Fridays / Mondays particular day what ever tank level
10. Every day top off
11. When the wallet allows (added) thanks Ferm
12. Other

Always looking for poll ideas post them HERE or send me a PM.......

the truck is just about always 1/4-1/2 on the gauge. it only gets filled up if I've got to go long distance. it hurts to fill it up:eek:. it works out to be about $200 to fill the tanks up(2X21gal) and I'm broke most of the time.

Voted when the wallet will allow. When I'm on road trips I try to stop once it gets to a 1/4 tank just to have a safety net as sometimes it might be 50 miles to the next fuel stop. Here lately though it's when my wallet wil lalow as it takes over $150 to fill it up from a 1/4 tank(then again I don't drive it much so I only fill it up on average every 2 months).

I fill at around 3/4 (on the gauge) for a few reasons. First, it's an emergency vehicle and I never know when I might have to drive a couple hundred miles. Second, the fuel gauge on this truck has been "wonky" since it was new. GM records show the whole thing (gauge and sending units) were replaced twice before I got the truck. What happens is, if I fill both tanks the gauge goes to about a 1/4 past full. (And will sometimes try to go further, then suddenly drop to E and stay there until the next time the truck is started. This once left me stuck on the side of the road with a full rear tank and empty front tank, because it will not transfer fuel between tanks when it does that.) The front tank is supposed to be 19 gallons, and the rear 21, for a total of 40. If I fill at 3/4 I can usually put in 20 gallons, which leads me to believe 3/4 actually equals about 1/2 on this particular truck. I've had it as low as a hair above 1/4 (with a full 5 gallon can carried in one of the side boxes) without any issues (took 38 gallons to fill)

I wish I could remember how many gallons it took for its very first fill up when I bought it. I bought it used, and the gauge was in the red when I drove out of the lot with it. Went straight to a station and filled it, and it took more than $200 (diesel at that time and place being $5.25gal) but I can't quite remember the exact amount and how many gallons. I think it was 42 or 43 gallons, because I thought for the longest time that it had two 25 gallon tanks, but later research told me the tank sizes that were standard on that C&C model. Could the shop that added the body have changed the tanks to something bigger? Sure, but without running it dry there's no good way for me to know.

I like to fill between 1/4 and 3/8. Sometimes run til below 1/8 to try and purge tank some then additidize a little extra and fill for extra tank cleaning.

I am not sure I'd like to fill one of those big tanks 40 plus gallons ouch. That is a lot of weight to just carry around for commuting. It would be nice on long towing trips though but I don't tow far often. And don't mind to stop to break when I do.

Other gets my vote. I try not to make a habit of it but lately I have been filling up with the low fuel light being on. I only fuel up at one station and I try and time it with when I will be in the area.

clipped
I only fuel up at one station and I try and time it with when I will be in the area.

I have 2 standard "go to" stations but will use a 3rd sometimes. Any of the 3 are on a regular route so its not too hard to accomidate.

I can't really feel a difference in performance of different fuels power or acceleration wise but do see a difference in smoke and launch feel. I have a manual transmission launch in 2nd computer controlled idle / launch clutch by me only then roll into fuel. I guess its cetane mostly??? I usually use a litre ish jug to add some 30 wt ND, 2 stroke oil, Stanadyne Performance Formula mix, and sometimes a bit of ATF. Plus about 10 ish oz FPPF 8+ cetane boost at fill ups to raise Cetane 6-8 pts guestimated fill amount.

I try and use either of teh 2 local HESS stations, or the raceway. Had to many bad tanks of fuel from wal-mart that cost me a couple hundred in filters to use there fuel anymore.

Voted other. I have averaged 90 miles/day since the truck was new so I fill up every 3 days during the week and 4th day over a weekend. Could be anything from 3/8 tank to low fuel light but usually about 1/4

I guess I get to be the lazy person maybe on this as I dont drive mine a lot as it is a 2WD 03 and I now only have 43K on it. It is my weekend drive or if I need to take a trip I take it so I sit higher and see more of the road so I keep mine filled while it sits in the garage and dont allow any condensation thru the winter and then each time I use Stanadyne to the fill up which is usually at the 1/2 tank mark.

I fill at around 3/4 (on the gauge) for a few reasons. First, it's an emergency vehicle and I never know when I might have to drive a couple hundred miles. Second, the fuel gauge on this truck has been "wonky" since it was new. GM records show the whole thing (gauge and sending units) were replaced twice before I got the truck. What happens is, if I fill both tanks the gauge goes to about a 1/4 past full. (And will sometimes try to go further, then suddenly drop to E and stay there until the next time the truck is started. This once left me stuck on the side of the road with a full rear tank and empty front tank, because it will not transfer fuel between tanks when it does that.) The front tank is supposed to be 19 gallons, and the rear 21, for a total of 40. If I fill at 3/4 I can usually put in 20 gallons, which leads me to believe 3/4 actually equals about 1/2 on this particular truck. I've had it as low as a hair above 1/4 (with a full 5 gallon can carried in one of the side boxes) without any issues (took 38 gallons to fill)

I wish I could remember how many gallons it took for its very first fill up when I bought it. I bought it used, and the gauge was in the red when I drove out of the lot with it. Went straight to a station and filled it, and it took more than $200 (diesel at that time and place being $5.25gal) but I can't quite remember the exact amount and how many gallons. I think it was 42 or 43 gallons, because I thought for the longest time that it had two 25 gallon tanks, but later research told me the tank sizes that were standard on that C&C model. Could the shop that added the body have changed the tanks to something bigger? Sure, but without running it dry there's no good way for me to know.

Bernie,

Thought I would let you know my 1999 commercial borchure, owners manual, etc show 22 gallons for the front tank and 18 gallons for the rear tank. I feel you pain on the guage. mine doesnt bounce, it just vibrates, but definitely goes past full.

also, for emergency situations, 91-95 C3500HD (the big chassis cab with solid front I beam 2wd axle, 19.5s, etc) had either the 22 gallon mid ship, or the 30 (or 32?) gallon aft of axle tank. not both, just one or the other. (never saw a regular 3500 chassis cab with the aft axle tank, but wont deny it exists) I have heard of folks swapping the 18 gallon tank for the big "pre 1996" aft-of-axle tank. that may reduce departure angles enough to take it out of consideration though.

as far as the poll, I voted 1/4 tank. still quite a bit of fuel on board, but with GM guages, and long towing trips across Wyoming, being prepared is never a bad idea. I once went a leg in Wyoming of 120 miles of no fuel available (bet for 50 bucks there was a little repair shop that would have sold 5 gallons)

I fill up 3-4 times a week. I usually get down to the low fuel light everytime but if I am going by my 2 normal stations I fill up at ~ 1/4 tank. My 95 6.5 could run out of fuel at 1/4 tank so I never let it get below 1/2-1/4.

I try to fuel up at 1/2 tank unless I am running seafoam or other cleaner in the tank and then I try and run it all the way down. I don't know what I am going to do if I get a b50 gal. tank!!:eek:

Back