• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Whats the general life span of a duramax engine? 250k, 300k?

Whats the general life span of a duramax engine? 250k, 300k?

Votes: 0 0.0%

Votes: 5 41.7%

Votes: 3 25.0%
  • 1 Million Miles

Votes: 4 33.3%

• Total voters
I put down 300k but I think it can easily be much more on average with good maint practices. I'll be at 270k next week on everything factory engine/trans wise except glow plugs. I originally bought it with 300k in mind but I'm thinking it's gonna be alot more than that.
Welcome to The Truck Stop by the way!

Welcome! Maintenance has a lot to do with the life. It's not uncommon to see 300K+ Duramax's for sale now and still running strong.

My 06 has 250k of hard work, doesn't use any oil, no weird noises.

Down falls: Trans is getting weak and injectors are going bad.

Injectors and trans are somewhat subjective by yr. The engine itself is good for the long haul unless an injector fouls and blows a hole in the piston.

Welcome. I voted 1 million miles. I heard of several people with over 500K on them. With the proper maintenance and upkeep, I don't see why they wouldn't last for that long. :cool:

I have been needing a good service truck for a while and this one came up for sale ,but 300k
on it 05 ,5500 ,mechanics truck , no tow hitch "that's a plus" ,air compressor , crane . Sounds and runs good.
I feel good about the engine after your assessment on duramax typical longevity . I will be towing my
Manzi Muck on a trailer behind it .

Attachments

• menzi muck.JPG
    menzi muck.JPG
    81.5 KB · Views: 14
Good to hear it has good cooling as that is what kills most engines along with dirt entering the system .
Trying not to overload it but it is amazing how much crap i can rat hole away in that tool bed.
Seems like every-time I get to a job site there's something I forgot to bring . My last farm service truck
was a wore out Coca-Cola beverage truck ,but with no crane it had its limits and according to ARRP mailings i am
pushing senior citizen age .So no more lifting for me.

The good thing about an 04.5 and newer the injectors are outside the valve cover so replacing them is not so much of a pain if need be.

The good thing about an 04.5 and newer the injectors are outside the valve cover so replacing them is not so much of a pain if need be.
I hear people say this, but after having done one I would rather do an LB7. It doesn't take much more work in all honesty, your not dealing with all the crap falling down in the injector bore when you change them, and you don't have to do the jigsaw puzzle to try and get the 2 rearmost injectors in.

Back