• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

What's in your oven....

So when you're applying the coating are you using a head gasket to determine where to apply? Can't wait to see this engine all come together.

I tape off the head then cut around a gasket, but I'm having a sheet of magnet made so I don't half to tape it off so many times and cut some time off...

These aren't mine they are a customers, and mine are close in line.... everytime I think I'll have a weekend to finish mine someone else sends parts.. right now I have several boxes of peoples parts and a few radiators in line... tomorrow will be radiator day and assembling & packing these to leave out Monday... But I'm not complaining at all...

Looks good.

I’ve wondered about any friction reducing pre cup throat coating. Something to reduce the Reynolds number or wall “ Sticktion”. Similar to valve curve area. Just the throat or nozzle or choke cross section point of pre-cup.

Are there any gasket adhesion improving coatings for head gasket wetted areas ????

@schiker , I leave the precups alone, I don't think it would be good to take or keep heat away from them either inside or out..

I do apply a barrier in the hole where the cup sits to help keep heat out of the head..

I don't install a head gasket dry no matter what the maker says to do..

I spray 2 coats of copper coat on each side, let it tack up then set the gasket & head on..

I used silver high temp spray paint back when I raced and still know racers that use it.. it seals up really well..

Now I haven't done it but the intire head serface could be sprayed to protect the wet areas, but more costs, then what to do about the block, it also could be done but more cost... I think the silver paint or copper cote will be better than a dry gasket...

Not much experience here but did spray a vega’s head gasket with copper coat back in 1986 or 87 from recommendation.

Took a class on supersonic flow early 90’s was interesting about the choke of nozzles and difference between sub and super sonic flow of nozzles.

@schiker , I leave the precups alone, I don't think it would be good to take or keep heat away from them either inside or out..

I do apply a barrier in the hole where the cup sits to help keep heat out of the head..

I don't install a head gasket dry no matter what the maker says to do..

I spray 2 coats of copper coat on each side, let it tack up then set the gasket & head on..

I used silver high temp spray paint back when I raced and still know racers that use it.. it seals up really well..

Now I haven't done it but the intire head serface could be sprayed to protect the wet areas, but more costs, then what to do about the block, it also could be done but more cost... I think the silver paint or copper cote will be better than a dry gasket...
What do you use for copper coat?

I've used Kopr Koat and a Permatex copper coat product.

Back