• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

What would be the ultimate powertrain swap in your GMT400 or older truck.

What would be the ultimate powertrain swap in your GMT400 or older truck.

• Total voters

CtChevy427

Still Kicking....
Staff member
Lead Moderator
Reaction score

This weeks contribution by GM Guy.....

If you had all the time, money, and resources necessary for a powertrain swap in your GMT400 or older truck, what would you drop in?

LB7 Duramax
LLY Duramax
LBZ Duramax
12V VE pump Cummins
12V P pump Cummins
24V Cummins
HPCR Cummins
P400
GEP cast 6.5L
Other :devil:

also, specify the transmission you want hooked to it!

I would love to drop a Duramax in my truck but, they do not make any kits to do it. So I picked the 12V P Pump. You can purchase everything online you would need to slide it into our truck.

First of course I would need to win the lottery to do this. I am just to cheap to spend that kind of money.

Well most here know what i have in mine:D. If i had the funds though to build an ultimate tow rig, it would be one of the old style 91- full size 4 door GM truck with the solid front axle. Drop an LBZ backed by a 6 speed ALLISON, 11.5" rear axle, DODGE 9.25 solid front axle, and a 271 transfer case. Reinforce the frame to handle the torque and load capacity and that would be one SWEET tow rig that would be just as good for mild trail use.

I would love to drop a Duramax in my truck but, they do not make any kits to do it. So I picked the 12V P Pump. You can purchase everything online you would need to slide it into our truck.

First of course I would need to win the lottery to do this. I am just to cheap to spend that kind of money.

The motor mounts aren't that bad to build for the DURAMAX swap, it's all the accesories that you have to fit in that makes it tough.

I voted a 12 valve P pump cummins, I would like to drop it in a 92 or 93 GMT400, so you are period correct on the mechanical injection, as far as the GM erea of mechanical injection, heck, if I am that OCD i would do a VE pump, so it is 92 in a 92! I would find a rear bellhousing plate off of a 4bt from p-chassis bread truck, so I could hook a GM version NV4500 to it, that is mostly OCD than anything, Keeping it all GM rather than getting dodge parts.

I think eventually I would like to have a trio of either 3500s or 3500HDs, all visually identical (probably the 159.5" WB reg. cab Chassis cab, white with grey interior, all 2wd of course) and have one with a p-pump Cummins/GM NV4500, one with a LB7 d-max/ZF6, and the last one a tuned up Optimizer 6500 coupled to a GM NV4500. all a little unique, but all quite functional. oh, and it has to look factory of course, so I might need to kidnap 88GMCtruck to do my wiring! :)

for a future burb swap, a LB7 coupled to a 6 speed allison would be cool. if that requires too much firewall massaging and or body lifting, I would probably get one of those trick 4L80E 6 speeds from TCI, or whoever makes it.

so basically a fleet of bone stock gloss white 2wd rigs with something nifty under the hood is the dream!

I can't decide if it would be a:
8-71 on a 572 big block
Allision V-12
Mechanical injector pump Duramax like that one completely custom tractor had. This would keep the 93 period correct...

Powerglide transmission maybe could hold it...

I would like a '72 chevy short-bed stepside on a 90 or 91 chevy 4x4 chasis with a 130 hp Cummins 4BT hooked to a maxed-out 700R4 (I'd settle for an NV4500)....just to bang around town. Oh, yeah, and a winning lotto ticket...:skep:

Well if money was no object, sign me up for the Dmax/Allison with the best of everything.

If I'm buying, Cummins 12v Mech inline pump

Last edited:
A P400 6.5TD (DB2 pumped) w/NV4500 would be the dream swap for my K5 (simple, yet stockish)

A dream diesel truck would be a C30 burb w/custom boxed frame and P-pump cummins and NV4500 or modified 4L80E. Have just the front seats installed and the rest of the burb act as a sleeping area or large cargo deck.

Similarly, ... A mid 70's C-30 CCLB dually, P-pump ported hotrod Cummins with intercooled twins, NV4500 at least with a GV overdrive, newer disc style 11.5 14-bolt, black on black and chrome, 22.5 Alcoas. Layin' about stock height. A lilttle lower. Let 'er eat.

If $ was no object I'd do an LBZ/ 6 spd ALLISON/ 271 T Case, but since I havn't won the lotto I guess I'm going with a modified P400 with DB2 Pump and 4L80E with compushift stand alone computer/controller, should hit 350 HP. Although I have a 5.9 12 V 215 HP P pump motor and a 47RE and a 241 DHD T CASE that was going to go in it but I'm going for the easier install and settle for a little, OK maybe more than a little less HP and TORQUE mostly because you have to spend about $5000.00 if not more on a 47 RE with a stand alone computer/controller to stand behind a tuned up 5.9 12 V P pump cummins. But also a 6.7 Cummins with an Allison would probably be the S#$T. I was just @ DESTROKED shop in Colorado a couple of weeks ago but you better bring a big sack of CASH!

If $ was no object I'd do an LBZ/ 6 spd ALLISON/ 271 T Case, but since I havn't won the lotto I guess I'm going with a modified P400 with DB2 Pump and 4L80E with compushift stand alone computer/controller, should hit 350 HP. Although I have a 5.9 12 V 215 HP P pump motor and a 47RE and a 241 DHD T CASE that was going to go in it but I'm going for the easier install and settle for a little, OK maybe more than a little less HP and TORQUE mostly because you have to spend about $5000.00 if not more on a 47 RE with a stand alone computer/controller to stand behind a tuned up 5.9 12 V P pump cummins. But also a 6.7 Cummins with an Allison would probably be the S#$T. I was just @ DESTROKED shop in Colorado a couple of weeks ago but you better bring a big sack of CASH!

Well sometimes I can ramble so, If I win the Lotto I am going to take my 5.9 Cummins and put it in a 1991 Suburban chassis with a Gorrilla H1 HUMMER body with all 1 ton straight axles out of my 1986 K5 Blazer mud truck and then bolt on some MATTRACKS!

Back