• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

What to use to remove factory 4L80E NSS connector sealant?

Reaction score
Pulled a pair of pigtails for 4L80E range/neutral safety switches out of the junkyard today....thought they were glued in, as I had to break both switches to get the plugs out, but I've since read it's a factory sealant....that apparently turns into glue at some point, lol.

What removes this stuff so I don't have to beat them into my trans, without eating the connectors or seals? Nearest junkyard is 50 miles away, so I don't want to just start trying random things...

Use a hair dryer or heat gun to heat them up good and they will pull apart easy.. CHECK THE PLUGS YOU YANKED APART.. make sure you didn't damage the pins or female connectors.. it's extremely common to pull a wire loose in them and not realize it when trying to get them apart...(ask me how I know).. that glue crap is a terrible design.. I spent forever trying to chase a electrical problem because of just that

Use a hair dryer or heat gun to heat them up good and they will pull apart easy.. CHECK THE PLUGS YOU YANKED APART.. make sure you didn't damage the pins or female connectors.. it's extremely common to pull a wire loose in them and not realize it when trying to get them apart...(ask me how I know).. that glue crap is a terrible design.. I spent forever trying to chase a electrical problem because of just that
I ran into that years ago. I. Assumed a previous owner had tried to glue the connection together or seal it and succeeded.

Well, I looked all over the junk yard for a place to plug in the hair dryer I always keep in the tool bag, but there just wasn't a single outlet to be found in the yard 🤷🏻‍♂️

Nor DID I YANK ANYTHING APART...🙄. Just because you brute force everything doesn't mean everyone else does too. I literally cracked apart the switch bodies around the plug, and never once pulled on any part of the plug or wires.

All I was asking is what to use to remove the remaining goo on these things... didn't realize someone was going to have an aneurysm over it 🙄

Seriously go back and read your own Post. You said you had to break the switches to get them out.. that would infer that you had to get rough with it. Hence wires could get damaged. But hey sorry for trying to help it won't happen again.. btw.. the make cordless heat guns And mini torch's for a reason.

Back