• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Water pump issues

JustinCydeher

Reaction score
Hi I'm Justin I drive a 99 GMC Sierra 15004wd with a 4.8. recently I replaced the water pump. At the time I was dirt poor broke but I had only 1/2 a gallon of antifreeze. With full intentions of getting some on payday I put that 1/2 gallon in and the rest water. Going for a short out of mind I forgot to get more antifreeze and I drove my Chevy Malibu on an out of town business tripfor two weeks. During that two weeks my hometown had some unexpected cold weather and my truck froze up it pushed in the back off my brand new water pump I put RTV on it and put it back on but it didn't hold. I tried putting another waterproof sealant called lexel. It did not hold either is there anything I can put on it that will hold to the pressure of the water pump?

Hi I'm Justin I drive a 99 GMC Sierra 15004wd with a 4.8. recently I replaced the water pump. At the time I was dirt poor broke but I had only 1/2 a gallon of antifreeze. With full intentions of getting some on payday I put that 1/2 gallon in and the rest water. Going for a short out of mind I forgot to get more antifreeze and I drove my Chevy Malibu on an out of town business tripfor two weeks. During that two weeks my hometown had some unexpected cold weather and my truck froze up it pushed in the back off my brand new water pump I put RTV on it and put it back on but it didn't hold. I tried putting another waterproof sealant called lexel. It did not hold either is there anything I can put on it that will hold to the pressure of the water pump?
Sad to say, it may have also destroyed the seals within the pump.
You maybe could try an auto salvege and see if they would let You have one from a stray pump.
Also, did You check to be sure that the cover is flat ? If it is not flat then try tapping it flat. Especially around where the bolts holds it down.

@JustinCydeher Welcome to the forum. help me understand what you are talking about when you mentioned

my truck froze up it pushed in the back off my brand new water pump

I looked online for a couple of photos of the actual pump to see what were are talking about. are you referring to the center part of the pump where it looks to have a press fit or bolt on cover? is this what got pushed out and is now leaking?

two photos below: first one is an AC Delco pump, second is an Airtex brand pump.
1644961822287.png1644961896059.png

@JustinCydeher Welcome to the forum. help me understand what you are talking about when you mentioned

I looked online for a couple of photos of the actual pump to see what were are talking about. are you referring to the center part of the pump where it looks to have a press fit or bolt on cover? is this what got pushed out and is now leaking?

two photos below: first one is an AC Delco pump, second is an Airtex brand pump.
View attachment 71995View attachment 71996
Yes my pump is like the press in. I put it back in and put RTV on it and it held for about a week and worked fine.the only other damage I think was it busted the thermostat housing and my heater core. I have replaced both

Back