• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Water pump advice

NOPE!
AC Delco spin on fanclutch style (not 4 stud mount). Idk that part number, but there are folks here that do.

these engines most commonly die from overheating.
Gm re engineered the waterpump multiple times before getting it right.
Aftermarket got these wrong for years and years. No reason to expect that they just figured it out recently.

If you have the 4 bolt/stud type currently, your fan clutch and fan will not work with the modern waterpump. The fanclutch has a normal life expectancy of 5 years. So now is probably a good time for that anyways since it is out.

What Fan blade do you have? Pics if you are not sure.
That might have to be swapped also.
If you have spin on already, then you could be ok to keep them, figuring coutch life of course.

If you have the dual thermostat crossover- install the restriction fitting now into the new waterpump. Leroy sells a wazoo one that will outlast the entire truck. N8in8or showed an excellent way to diy one for low cost.
If you have a single thermostat crossover, make sure it is a block off style and not one of the crappy hmmwv/ hummer ones that blow up more engines than an RPG can. Pics if not sure.

To the fan clutch and fan-while it is all out already is prime time to make the best upgrade for this yet. AK diesel driver did a thread showing how to do an electric viscous fan clutch. You can control the temperature it comes on to match your environment and use! You can tie it into the a/c system for better working a/c like modern vehicles. And he has been running his quite a while and it does something else the regular clutch can’t- it runs at 100% of pulley speed- the best of the other kind is 85%. Then his was running for a year and a half if I remember correctly and lost zero speed. The normal ones usually drop 5% by then.
You can also add a switch on the dash to force on incase you are going up a mountain or towing and know you are going to be fighting overheating so it will stay that problem.

one other feature that can be added but not needed unless you go off road crossing rivers- a switch can be added for “off” - you probably won’t add that one though- haha

draw backs to it: cost a little more, have to add a bot of wires and a relay.
To use a/c upgrade you need a Trinary switch and most gm pickups all had binary- so the r134a has to be recovered to change switch then recharged. But you don’t have to add this- it’s an option.

something I suspect but yet to be proven- the higher fan ratio cools faster so should be able to have more down time and improve mpg. @ak diesel driver have you noticed anything from that or did you even watch it? A link to your magical thread please?

There are vendors here like Twisted Steel Performance and Leroy Diesel that I believe (I have been wrong before) can order the proper water pump from GEP directly. Those are the AC DELCO pumps being sold to GEP for new optimizer builds.

NOPE!
AC Delco spin on fanclutch style (not 4 stud mount). Idk that part number, but there are folks here that do.

these engines most commonly die from overheating.
Gm re engineered the waterpump multiple times before getting it right.
Aftermarket got these wrong for years and years. No reason to expect that they just figured it out recently.

If you have the 4 bolt/stud type currently, your fan clutch and fan will not work with the modern waterpump. The fanclutch has a normal life expectancy of 5 years. So now is probably a good time for that anyways since it is out.

What Fan blade do you have? Pics if you are not sure.
That might have to be swapped also.
If you have spin on already, then you could be ok to keep them, figuring coutch life of course.

If you have the dual thermostat crossover- install the restriction fitting now into the new waterpump. Leroy sells a wazoo one that will outlast the entire truck. N8in8or showed an excellent way to diy one for low cost.
If you have a single thermostat crossover, make sure it is a block off style and not one of the crappy hmmwv/ hummer ones that blow up more engines than an RPG can. Pics if not sure.

To the fan clutch and fan-while it is all out already is prime time to make the best upgrade for this yet. AK diesel driver did a thread showing how to do an electric viscous fan clutch. You can control the temperature it comes on to match your environment and use! You can tie it into the a/c system for better working a/c like modern vehicles. And he has been running his quite a while and it does something else the regular clutch can’t- it runs at 100% of pulley speed- the best of the other kind is 85%. Then his was running for a year and a half if I remember correctly and lost zero speed. The normal ones usually drop 5% by then.
You can also add a switch on the dash to force on incase you are going up a mountain or towing and know you are going to be fighting overheating so it will stay that problem.

one other feature that can be added but not needed unless you go off road crossing rivers- a switch can be added for “off” - you probably won’t add that one though- haha

draw backs to it: cost a little more, have to add a bot of wires and a relay.
To use a/c upgrade you need a Trinary switch and most gm pickups all had binary- so the r134a has to be recovered to change switch then recharged. But you don’t have to add this- it’s an option.

something I suspect but yet to be proven- the higher fan ratio cools faster so should be able to have more down time and improve mpg. @ak diesel driver have you noticed anything from that or did you even watch it? A link to your magical thread please?

There are vendors here like Twisted Steel Performance and Leroy Diesel that I believe (I have been wrong before) can order the proper water pump from GEP directly. Those are the AC DELCO pumps being sold to GEP for new optimizer builds.
Thank you Will L., I knew there had to be a better way. My truck will be laid up for a while because I'm doing an RV/Expedition build so I want to do the necessary upgrades for reliability and possible towing. I will be replacing the a/c compressor and the receiver dryer anyway. The truck currently has the old-style 4 bolt pump, fan clutch, and fan. Thank you for the sources.

I now have two pumps in my garage, and one is installed in the Hummer. The native pump 99 started leaking., I bay noname pump from ebay $50. The engine started to warm up. I ordered a pump from a local market using a number from a Hummer. Arrived the pump from China.
Will install on Hamster or throw it out?

@denata NOPE. Send it back and get the AC Delco. Your hummer already has everything else ok Except the bypass restriction fitting. Do that also while the water pump is out, it screws into the water pump.

i see multiple differences Marty you are correct - but to be fair I already done the -in my hands comparison, So my eyes go right to them.

Mark down the road bought an airtex and had me help it go back together middle of the night on a Sunday a couple years back middle of the summer. Only a few parts stores open and none had the AC Delco in stock. So we put it on so he could go to work in the morning - plumber service truck. He called me at lunchtime Monday- he would pull over at 210° because he blew the previous engine from overheating. Dual aftermarket temp gauges on top of the dash with a fuel pressure gauge in the middle, all digital I was kinda proud of him! Haha. He convinced me digital gauges can look ok.

Anyways he stopped at a napa on his way home and bought the Delco. We changed it that night. The next day he saw the difference instantly. Autozone refunded his money on the airtex when they saw the receipt from napa and he showed the manager video of the temperature difference on his phone. Airtex had drivers head 4° colder than normal and passenger head 9° hotter just driving on flat ground. C3500 with 11’ utility bed. Probably weighed around 14,000 lbs. when he pulled the hill coming out of Vegas valley he saw 202 driver and 219 passenger. That is a 3 mile stetch that soows semis down from 70 mph to 45/50 when loaded, no clue the angle. His normal temperature is 190° and the two sides stay same flat ground and go 1 or 2° hotter. He said he never sees a 3° difference even when he towed his ford dually pickup up hill on a car trailer.

Back