• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Valve train improvement idea

Will L.

Reaction score
Leroy’s new reusable valve cover gaskets sparked an old thought I had for better power and efficiency. By eliminating a lot of the fight it would take to work out the kinks.
I have never liked the non adjustable valve rocker arms and plastic buttons. Infact- that set up is just expected in quailty diesel engine design. But with the nightmare of injector lines and the valve cover destroying/ sealing design- it isn’t worth the fight. One of my “what if” improvements was a set of solid roller lifters with adjustable roller rocker arms. But a 2 piece valve cover would be a requirement for that which is as much work as the rocker arm mod itself. These gaskets combined with some QD connectors at the ip side to make lines easy for in n out could be done much easier. Doubt at this point I will ever get that mod done, but maybe one of you all could run with it.

Expensive r&d there for very little return on investment are my first thoughts..

As for higher ratio rockers anyone that thinks just because they "cost so much" they should be "bolt on and go" is thinking the wrong way IMO....

I for one have done enough with high ratio rockers to know the stock pushrod length isn't correct or as it should be, a set of checking rods and welded lifters are a MUST and much time spent getting the correct travel on the valve tip through out the stroke, and also stock pushrods ARE NOT strong, they are made from 1010 soft steel, not good for larger springs and more ratio, a custom set of larger/harder pushrods are required to fight deflection... and the stock head will need to be clearanced in several places or binding WILL happen..

And another thought is this.... it's clear to see a larger exhaust valve will provide more flow out of the chamber ... more in more out more power per stroke... sure everyone would do it if it was cheap..

@Will L. I like your idea but with few interested in expensive performance products the cost vs return is what drives most to go for the "bolt on" everyone has it kind of stuff...

Just me thinking here, doesn't mean much does it LOL....

You’re spot on with it not being a low cost thing.

Agree on pushrods 100%. Many get bent and the whole coated end for wear- kinda funny that its a mandatory thing. Heck that should say something about engine coatings in itself to this community- haha. Anyone ever cross reference a good replacement?
A one piece solid lifter/ pushrod was a conversation back then too.

I was looking at the idea of eliminating the button failures and eliminate the lifter failures or loss of valve throw from them.

The idea that the 6.5 valve clatter is normal so it’s ok is not acceptable in my eyes for performance. Thats why one of the “fixes” for the old buicks was the retro kit to adjustable chevy style rockers.

Those engines, like the 6.5 are based on the ak47 theory of build it loose and let it rattle on purpose. Just don’t expect accuracy or repeatability.

You mentioned not being able to just bolt-n-go with roller rocker arms. Yet I remember doing just that on sbc gassers in the mid 80’s because they have individual adjustable arms vs shaft style. Thats part of why I think they should be. But you are right, they aren’t.
If you have valves ABCD on a shaft and B is loose what is the fix? Ignore it or hours of work to correct it. Just dumb imo. But if you could individually adjust the valves, how much easier is it?

Will doing all this correct a lot or gain 5% improvements? Heck no. So you hit the nail on the head for high r&d for little return. Really best for those interested in 5k rpm, But for a
Few of you guys out there that have some time on your hands and want to just play...

Tig the lifter solid and tig the pushrod to it while your at it. Then grab some old school rocker arms...and remember, the adjuster could be above the valve with a roller on the end instead of on a center post. Or doing centerpost off the rosker shaft rod.

Ever seen a rocker arm roller at both end mounted on a bearing? Haha- ya, I am kinda nuts.

Probably never go anywhere- just memories of ideas i thought some of you would get a kick from.

This is the beauty of having a running engine with a cracked cylinder wall. On a test stand made from channel Iron and a garden hose cooling system, you can do these goofy things for fun. Then if it works out- cool. I really miss when people would let you to haul off the old 6.2/6.5s that they converted to 350 gassers. Heck, usually came with 10 gallons of free
Diesel too!

Make it a lower with 3 tops covering the rockers . Cover the 2 sets of rockers , in the middle , and singles on the ends . Something along the lines of a Moroso valve cover .

Why not an adjustable push rod to go with them solid lifters ?
Might be a set of push rods from an old Pan Head or shovel head Harley enjun`d fit just right. LOL
After all, Chevy 6 cylinder points fit them harleys.

Back