• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Vac. Pump Removal

preachermic

Reaction score
I've read this at many places but want to be sure. On the truck in my sig. what belt would I use if I removed the Vac. pump. Thanks!

What I've come to find is that no 1 belt fits all, some swear 101" is what is required, that is stock belt on mine, and some of the newer style belts stretch quickly, 1" shorter is what you need, however depending on belt mfr it may stretch fast, so I finally bought an assortment of belts and put on one that was as short as I could fit over the pulley with tensioner as far in tight direction as possible, next day I was "in window" between min and max tensioner marks. Belts that work on both my 98 burb and 98 truck are 99.5" belts. Length required has to do with alt pulley diameter, a/c compressor location, wp pulley, andd tensioner used, get 1 & 1.5" shorter belt and take back ones you don't use

pic shows 1" shorter belt (100" belt) on mine after about a week I had to go to 99.5 which brought it to last mark on B side after a week it was & is in middle between A & B now

Attachments

• 98 6.5 belt tensioner.jpg
    98 6.5 belt tensioner.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 26
Last edited:
Yeah, TD is right. It's going to depend on year and options. Turbine Doc's has the compressor and alternator on the opposite side of mine, I think (mine's a '95). I'm sure the belts are different between his and mine.

Mine's been on there too long to see any numbers, but I'll see if I have the original sleeve the belt came from. If so, I'll post back with a P/N.

I have read somewhere about the shorter belt chirping. Is that because it's the wrong size belt or once you eliminate the Vac does it change the geometry or it that an old wives tale ? Would like to put that one to rest. I'm about to can mine. It's doing nothing anyway. Like to sell it while it still works.

got my belt from heath and it fit like a stock belt with no chirpin'....neighbors 94 i was workin' on had him get a 1" shorter belt from napa and it fit just fine and no chirp..as far as removin' the vac pump take the 2 easy bolts out(if your pump is junk) and wack the boss on the third bolt with a chiesl and it will drop to the ground...10 min. job...

In my 95 burb, stock is using 102" belt: Gates K061020, note: 06 is the number of groove and 1020 is 102.0". This is WITH Vacuum pump.

In my 95 burb, stock is using 102" belt: Gates K061020, note: 06 is the number of groove and 1020 is 102.0". This is WITH Vacuum pump.

On my 1995 K2500 Pickup is stock a 101" belt - WITH Vac pump AND A/C.

Was told the 102" is with vacpump, but WITHOUT A/C. Don't for sure, but this one was too long for mine.

Cu,
Sven

Back