• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Under Hood Insulation

Its some kind of fire retardant, not your regular insulation. I would say its necessary.

I always remove all the stuff on my 6.5s and older gassers as it falls apart. I dont care if my hood, fenders, or firewall get hot. On your new truck I guess I would leave it on the hood so the paint doesn't get baked, but Ive had it off my 94 for at least 4 years with no color change.. I want the heat out of the motor compartment :) just my 02

Never thought it could be that important but you guys make good points. I guess I will put it back on.

I'd replace it. It's cheaper then paint.
It may not seem like it, but it does keep things a little warmer in there when the block heater is plugged in too.

I'd replace it. It's cheaper then paint.
It may not seem like it, but it does keep things a little warmer in there when the block heater is plugged in too.

just fyi - (and i realize ya'll probably don't use spray paint on your vehicles) but I spray painted my jeep's mufflers (purple hornys) with john deere green farm equipment paint and after about 10 hrs of smelling hot paint, it no longer smells and is still there. So..if you're worried about heat and paint - buy equipment paint - made for tractors :)

Back