• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

ubuntu vs xp.

just a number

Reaction score
I need to change/upgrade the hard drive in the laptop. current setup is with xp. It's only has a 1.6ghz processor and about 1.5 gigs of ram. Right now space is the biggest issue, it's only got a 20gig hdd in it.

so the big question is, which would be better on the reinstall(larger hdd))?

2nd question. It's currently using ide/pata setup but you can get a sata adapter for it. is it worth the extra cash for the sata setup?

Wouldn't you be money ahead of the game if you just found a refurbished laptop with W7? MS isn't supporting XP any more iirc

Yes MS has stopped support for XP, from what I understand for a price they are updating it for some companies with money to pay. Some companies still use XP to operate machines, CAD lathes etc. and keep them offline. I have an older Acer laptop with 4 gigs of ram and it operates better than it did with XP. Windows 7 will be the workhorse for some time as was XP.

I've got w7 on the desktop. I can't say I'm a fan out it. 3x the crap that I never use. my laptop is used like a work truck, simple to use no bells or whistles. the one I'm using now is an older toughbook. it's be 'tested' more that one once for durability.

Turn off the majority of services when you load Win-7 works like a charm, of course you have to do this before going online

Do you know how to use and fix Linux? I assume not so I wouldn't give yourself the headache. Yes you can try it, but, unless you want to go down a rabbit hole and commit yourself - well the 5 year old next door knows Windows. The 5 year old that knows Linux isn't going to give you the time of day... :p Support for Linux can be expensive where Windows support is almost free.

XP is done - stick a fork in it. Yes you can still use it, but, it isn't as secure as Win 7 or Linux. Less holes in the strainer you are trying to float anyway. Linux is free. Windows is expensive and thus the suggestion for a new and faster used laptop that already has Windows 7. Windows 8 is a mess and will become Windows ME and dropped as soon as Windows 10 comes out. (8 was so bad Microsoft skipped 9 and Steve ex Microsoft CEO is now playing with a basketball he was run off so badly over it and Bing!)

As far as HDD's you should be looking at a SSD, solid state drive. Anything else like the interface sata/IDE is not worth changing as it is like a slow NA 6.2 vs. a NA 6.5. The SSD is like a twin CP3 hotrod Duramax tire burner vs. the slow mechanical drives.

Agree that trying to run XP is just not worth it. As mentioned, Linux (and derivatives) is a very stable and popular option, yet a roll-your own solution and the help desk is the person you see in the mirror and time spent on forums. If you want to keep the laptop from connecting to the Internet, Linux (and derivatives) may prove a better better choice once you finish the fine tuning to your platform.

SSD's are nice. I am the camp of dual drives; one SSD and one HDD.

Consider getting Win 7, run the OS (only) on the SSD, and push everything else to a 7,200 RPM (or faster) mechanical drive; also, move the User Profiles (via mount point) to the HDD as a lot of bloat goes there.

I put a 500gb SSD in my Lenovo laptop a year ago and I wouldn't want it any other way but I'm pretty sure that's not relevant to the topic. I still think a renovated W7 laptop from some reputable seller like Newegg or Amazon will be the right choice.

Toughbooks are very picky on hard drive choices. I found you can't just drop a SSD in them as they (just tested with a model CF-C2) have a funky BIOS powered recovery program to re-load Windows. They want you to purchase the $500.00 SSD option they offer (RAPE) vs. a $100 SSD drive.
So you may have trouble with replacing the Hard Drive at any rate in a Toughbook.

the ssd are nice but the interface is still limited by the ide controller. the other big question is how well do they like the warm/ cold shock. for me tech support is easy. you just gotta know the right people.

the other option is the leave the current hdd there and swap the DVD out for a secondly drive. it's not ideal but may be an option

Back