• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Turbo Whistle

moteco

Reaction score
I own my first diesel truck which is a 2008 Chevy 2500HD. I have noticed that there are some diesel trucks around that have a more audible turbo whistle than others. I am sure that this is due to some modifications. I would like to increase the whistle on my truck because it just simply sounds good.
Does anyone have any advise as to which modification(s) will assist with this?

For a little background, the only performance mods my truck has would be the exhaust which is a Flo Pro 4" system.

I see that you have an exhaust. Is your DPF filter still on the truck? If so, I would first start by removing that. Usually a full turbo exhaust will produce alot more whistle over stock.

moved to the LMM section.

An intake will help some, and removing the DPF will really help but keep in mind it is illegal.

What "other" trucks are you referring to?? There is onl some much noise a stock turbo will make, you may be hearing aftermarket turbos.

Thanks for the information. There are several F250s around that have a whistle that is quite loud. I do not want to ask a crazy question, but what is the DPF? As I stated, this is my first diesel truck and I am sure that I have a lot to learn.
I greatly appreciate the advise.

DPF is a Diesel Particulate Filter. It mechanically catches large soot particles and periodically burns them off at high temperatures. It is in the exhaust ahead of the Catalytic converter in a stock system.

An aftermarket intake will also add some audible turbo whistle.

I am partial to this intake:

Click here

and here

Let me know if you are interested in pricing. As always, members pay wholesale, same as me.

Thanks for the information. There are several F250s around that have a whistle that is quite loud. I do not want to ask a crazy question, but what is the DPF? As I stated, this is my first diesel truck and I am sure that I have a lot to learn.
I greatly appreciate the advise.

Ford's are known to whistle loud just from the factory. I'm assuming your DPF is still intact then?

Any ford diesel after 1999 whistles like crazy and 03 6.0s whistle the most.

Installing an intake and removing the resonator should help improve the whistle you are looking for.

I have read that you can plug the tube located in the resonator with a 2"test plug. Is that the way to achieve this? Also, there are a ton of intakes, which is the best in your opinion?

I have read that you can plug the tube located in the resonator with a 2"test plug. Is that the way to achieve this? Also, there are a ton of intakes, which is the best in your opinion?

That's a real can of worms there. My advise is to look at the dyno charts from the manufacturers, decide if you want oiled or dry, and go from there.

Also, buy from a site vendor!:eyebrows:

Not sure about the LMM but on the LB7, LLY, and LBZ the stock intake flows plenty of air and you realistically never need on until you add a bigger turbo.

An intake is an intake. They all flow air and they all trap dirt. I would find which one has the best filtration.

Also keep in mind that no aftermarket intake traps as much dirt as the stocker.

So the jet sound it basically a free flowing exhaust system?

Not sure about the LMM but on the LB7, LLY, and LBZ the stock intake flows plenty of air and you realistically never need on until you add a bigger turbo.

An intake is an intake. They all flow air and they all trap dirt. I would find which one has the best filtration.

Also keep in mind that no aftermarket intake traps as much dirt as the stocker.

As far as the actual intake and filter go the stocker is good. There is a restriction on the LLY's turbo mouthpiece though. Lot's of people have installed LBZ mouth pieces to make it better.

Exactly, modding the stock one or installing an LBZ one is all that i really needed.

Assuming the LMM has a resonator like the LLY (I've never looked under the hood on one), then yes... you not only can but should block the resonator. Those things are made of two pieces of molded plastic welded (or glued) together. They have been known to come apart and let unfiltered air into your engine intake - the worst kind too... the unfiltered air under your hood. :doh:

The 2" test plug thing will prevent all of that. Those of us who have done this will also caution people to use a lock washer or lock nut to make 100% sure that thing isn't gonna come apart and let a bolt drop into your turbo.

As for extra turbo whistle... this is really going to add a little more grumble to your engine, not whistle per se. The resonators serve two or three purposes:

1. To theoretically make an extra gulp of air available at a moment's notice to the turbo for those stomp-on-the-pedal times (in theory, the resonator allows fluid harmonics of the air to balance and become optimized prior to "ingestion" by the engine... but from a practical perspective, it's smoke and mirrors... show me one cop car or other high performance engine that sports one - they simply don't)
  2. Provide a place to display branding info on top of the engine and make it look all nice
  3. Make the engine a little quieter.

So... block it, but you're not really going to get more whistle; just a little more grumble.

Randy posted good advice. Also, I'm assuming you've seen the two pics of the Ford 4.6 CVPI's intake that I posted elsewhere?

Resonators have been debated for years on many vehicles. Mine is currently blocked, as was my 04.5 LLY. On a stock truck, it'll make the intake a bit throatier. With an exhaust, I doubt you'd hear any difference at all. Get a 2" test plug or quick cap from Home Depot or Lowes and block it off. I blocked mine and reinstalled the resonator on top of it so it looks stock.

Back