• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Tranny and cross over pipe

Stoney

Reaction score
So I decided to get under the truck today that was my first mistake LOL... Did an oil change tightened up a couple things..
Then I made a couple interesting discoveries I don't know if they matter or not but I figured I would ask... One my crossover pipe has some holes in it so I wrapped them in exhaust tape we should buy me a little bit of time.. I don't really have the money to buy a new one and I know some guys upgrade theirs to the bigger size so I was wondering if by any chance anybody has their old one still and wants to sell it....
Then I happen to notice that the little Black box on the driver side of the tranny that the linkage hooks to was covered in fluid the whole tranny looks nasty as hell right there... There's two electrical plugs that go into it... That was soaked in fluid so I started trying to figure out where the fluid was coming from... That didn't take long.. there is a little rubber hose inside diameter is less than a quarter of an inch that comes off the top of the transmission I got my camera up in there to snap a picture of it and evidently it's a little middle nipple that comes out the top that the hose hooks to..the hose came down the side of the transmission and was dripping fluid right on that box...the other end of the hose looks like it was broke off from somewhere but I don't know where it goes or if it's supposed to be some kind of vent or something.. anyway I routed it down the other side of the tranny for now till I figure that out and I took brake cleaner to the side where the electric control boxes and cleaned it all up... So my questions are what is that hose is it supposed to be connected to anything at the other end and what are the two plugs on that control box..could be my imagination but it seems like the truck is running better and shifting better since I cleaned it up.. like I said I took a pic of the top of the transmission where that hose hooks into.Screenshot_20210405-202116.png

Try taking a pic with phone turned sideways.
Maybe a little farther away too.

If that is the vent... why would anyone put a hose on it except for driving the truck into deep water. Hut if thats the case the hose should go up higher to keep water from getting in. A hose going downward makes it worse.
Then- it is a vent tube. Fluid should not be coming out unless the transmission is overfilled.
Circled vent tube -which on your truck should have NO RUBBER HOSE.17B0FF10-F4BC-4EB6-A094-B37108032099.jpeg

Ok that's weird..the circled one in your pic is in fact the one I'm referring to best I can tell..but tranny isn't overfilled..I'll check again in morning to be sure..I can't imagine that control box effecting much just by degreasing it but who knows, maybe fluid been getting into the electrical plugs, and effecing shifting..it has felt for awhile like the truck is taking off in second gear, like it's bogging out kinda like taking off in second with a manual is best I can explain it.. maybe fluid in plugs is preventing proper up and down shift..
This truck is a total p.i.a..lol

Crap, i had the CO pipe off my truck but gave away the entire exhaust system to a guy that wanted to adapt portions of it to his truck. He has since moved and i know knot where.

Trans, diff, t-case, p/s pump cap, hydro-boost, some vacuum vents should have a hose up high into the engine bay (bonnet), depending what the vehicle is used for dictates what you use at the top most portion of that vent hose.
As Will L mentioned fording (aka: water crossings) needs be up high, sandy environments require a "filter" like a fuel filter for obvious reasons.
P/S filler can be extended by using silicone hose, I cut off the fill port on an ole p/s pump and use a hose w/same diameter to extend the filler cap up high and use vent hose too.
Have a snorkel, then that is the best place to run those vents"up high".
Be thankful GM places the trans vent on top of the case, DODGE TF trans are vented at the trans pump, in this case I thread and plug the Torque Flight pump then tap the case at the top to run a vent hose up high...

Way off subject..a guy gave me a couple brand new 8.75 x16.5 tires already on 8 lug dually rims. I know the rims are useless later since there 16.5 ....but but since I'm tearing up front tires pretty bad cause alignment is way off I figure I can throw them on the front for now and tear em up...what is height difference between them and the 235/85/16s I got on it now ??? Before anyone asks my pitman arm and idler arm are shot which tore up the tie rods ... hence why alignment is shot...can't get anyone to put pitman and idler in so not much I can do about it right now...

Free front tires sound like right size to me on 2wd truck! Haha
No clue on sizing, roll them over and see how close, but really unless it’s way off- run them.

16.5 tires are available still but not any cheaper unless you get them from government auctions. Most the 16.5 are the hmmwv tires so keep an eye out if you want to stick with them.

Are they split rim or regular?

There regular rim (I think..). They look basically like mine..I'll get pics tomorrow..I figured they'll keep me rolling awhile so it's a win either way...I can't see trying to run those kind all the time, the tires are to hard to find and from what I've seen are alot more expensive . Of course the ones I've been buying are generic from mavis so might not be a fair price comparison....
Trying to figure out how to get the pitman arm and idler arm off.. new ones have been in the back seat for a couple months...but a pickle fork won't get the old ones off...and honestly not sure I got the right pitman arm..I've been told by friends that there's a 3 spline one and a 4 spline one( not sure if that's true) ...auto zone only lists the 4spline so that's what I bought. Poor old truck is shaking herself apart, and she's got do many problems now I can't keep up.

My experience with crossover pipes is that they do not last that long and they are relatively cheap. Not sure the larger 2.5" diameter helps on the boost pressure, but the mandrel bent does help the flow and probably reduces back pressure. Diamond Eye mandrel bent cross over pipes have always been the replacement standard and shipping costs would eat up any savings on a used one or gets you close to just getting a new one:

Diamond Eye Crossover Pipe, Chevy/GMC (1993-00) 6.5L Diesel (2.5") Aluminized (ktperformance.net)

That's the best price I could find.

From what I have gathered the larger diameter x-over is of no benefit on stock manifolds.
Ceramic coating inside and out then wrapping the x-over and sealing it w/spray on hi-temp silicone does help boost and longevity of the pipe.

..a guy gave me a couple brand new 8.75 x16.5 tires already on 8 lug dually rims. I know the rims are useless later since there 16.5 ....but but since I'm tearing up front tires pretty bad cause alignment is way off I figure I can throw them on the front for now and tear em up...what is height difference between them and the 235/85/16s I got on it now ???

For the tire comparisons

Per calculations on http://www.gtsparkplugs.com/GearCalc.html:
235/85-16 = 31.73" diameter / 635.65 revs per mile

Per internet results:
8.75 x 16.5 = 29.46" diameter / 684 revs per mile

Quick question...will not having the little screen filter under the fuel filter effect engine performance? As in can it cause a fuel restriction ?

I was thinking about that the filter itself is usually wobbly on the cap...as in if your holding the cap in one hand and grab the filter part with other it will wiggle a bit...so if the little screen filter isn't in there the paper filter can wobble in the ffm.and could block the hole where the fuel goes out of it.. I THINK...I don't know the inside of the ffm very well

When people are trying to max out every bit of power - they remove it. But removing the air filter has a better effect. So on e you decide the engine life doesn’t matter and you don’t use an air filter-then think about no fuel screen.

Back