• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Tow / Trailer hitch wiring

DieselAmateur

Diesel or Bust
Reaction score
I don't know of any plug and play for these old trucks- although it really isn't that hard to wire one in

I include this link below because it shows where some trucks have a female terminal for a brake controller in the under dash fuse panel near the e-brake pedal:

The most important thing when wiring in a tow harness is tapping into the brake light switch so that the trailer brakes are activated. If you don't have the NAT plug referenced in the link above, you find the brake light switch wire using a test light and splice in there. The rest is running wires from the brake controller to power, ground, and to the 7 pin connector at the hitch.

I have had good success with a basic Tekonsha brake controller unit. Biggest problem is terminals in the 7 way connector rotting out from living in the salt belt, something that shouldn't be an issue for you in CA

Stoney

Lock-n-load
Reaction score
Actually they do make a plug and play..(AutoZone) sells them..plugs in, in back of the truck where the tail light harness plugs into the main harness that goes down the fr frame rail...if I remember right it's pretty much below the driverside tail light

DieselAmateur

Diesel or Bust
Reaction score
Yeah the 4 pin plug is only for lights, does not include brakes (as far as I know). There is a plug and play adapter to connect a 7 way plug to the tail light circuit, but the remaining wires to control brakes have to be run yourself.