• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

tow haul mode dead

tammlyn

Reaction score
i just returned from a holiday,we towed the 5er aprox 5500km,everything went very well until today on are way home we pulled in a rest area with tow mode on shutt the truck off and when we restarted to leave tow haul would not engage any help would be appreciated thanks mike

I'd sure check for a fuse first but did it throw any codes? Not good to be without T/H with a load behind you.

If you move the steering wheel up and down a lot I would say a wire is broken.

My $$ says that the wires from the shifter chafed inside the column.
:iagree:pull the column cover down and look at the wire harness that comes out of the shifter stalk. I'd be willing to bet there is a slight break in the shielding and the wires have broke.

tow haul

i went back in the truck to try it again and the problem is definitely in the arm or bad switch,or broken wires at the switch if i played with the arm and switch i could get the light to come on,has anyone tried to take the arm apart to repair it thanks mike

Pull the column cover off and chances are you will be able to get enough wire out to repair the break.

I lost my tapshift buttons from that crap-tacualr wiring job that gm did. I pulled my steering wheel and removed my shifter, soldered it back together and shrink wrapped it. They used waaaayyyy too brittle of insulation on that wire.

thanks guys the wires were broken at arm entrance,they are repaired and ready to roll,i know there was a fiew discusions on the possibility of overheat on the lly well i can tell you its not a problem on the lbz,when we were in montreal the outside temp was 39 degrees celcius plus humidex witch was at 46 degrees,there was some hills of 14percent and 3km long,absolotely no issues with truck temp or tranny temp,my 5er is a 33ft couguar with weight of aprox 9500lbs,at this point i do not regret changing my 6,5,thanks guys,we will be on the road again next week so far we logged 5700km

my brother-in-law's 05 is hit or miss wheater the tow/haul engauges when u hit the button, I bet the wire is rubbed trough on his also.

I lost my tapshift buttons from that crap-tacualr wiring job that gm did. I pulled my steering wheel and removed my shifter, soldered it back together and shrink wrapped it. They used waaaayyyy too brittle of insulation on that wire.

Yup. I specifically remember re-routing yours a bit and zip-tieing it up so it shouldn't break again.

Possibly, I will confer with David and see. I know I rerouted mine better, also (thought I'm not sure) you might be able to slip a bit of shrink tube on their and reinforce the area.

The options I can think of.

1. Re-route the harness. You can see where it pinches when the steeringwheel is at the lowermost tilt.
2. Cover the wiring with additional heatshrink over the loom. To do this you'll need to take the connectors out of the plug which you can only do if you have the tool to release the little clips inside it.
3. Completely build a new harness for it, with better wire. This is what I will do if/when mine dies.

i did not have the tool for the plugs,but i cut a bigger heat shrink open and slipped in to make a better surface at the entrance so the wires are still in the heat shrink and should not break,as they are up against the heat shrink and not the hard surfaces. good luck mike

Back