• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Tow bar with broke tie rod?

Landon730

Reaction score
I bought a C3500 the other day about 40 miles away and Im BROKE... so I have no money for a tow truck or car dolly. Sadly not enough for a new tie rod ($30) :facepalm: I have 2 tow bars laying around and just wanted to know if the tire wouldn't flop and steer wrong or if it would be no different then no one hanging onto the steering wheel.. Need help asap. If anyone has any ways I could splice the tie rod just to get it home I could gladly do that. Its not broke at the joint, its broke on the part with threads but in the center. No pictures sadly.

Not seeing it makes it hard to say, but broken tie rods patch jobs have been welded by in truck welders that off road guys have on engine- actually a converted alternator.

I have ton a crap ton of bailing wire once, but only drive 5mph, because when it snaps you loose all steering again.

My cousin once made a splint of concrete stakes and safety wire.

If it is the passanger side, you could use motorcycle type straps and lock it down solid so that tire doesn’t turn. Then steer of driver’s only

Obviously all these are crazy slow driving situations.

Not seeing it makes it hard to say, but broken tie rods patch jobs have been welded by in truck welders that off road guys have on engine- actually a converted alternator.

I have ton a crap ton of bailing wire once, but only drive 5mph, because when it snaps you loose all steering again.

My cousin once made a splint of concrete stakes and safety wire.

If it is the passanger side, you could use motorcycle type straps and lock it down solid so that tire doesn’t turn. Then steer of driver’s only

Obviously all these are crazy slow driving situations.
Ok I thought about trying a splint with zip ties and something solid, I gotta tow (or maybe) drive the truck 40 miles most of the driving is really straight road. If I don’t have to screw with it could I just forget about it or will the tire lock up one direction and not pull straight?

If it breaks the tire turns, the towed truck turns, the back of the tow vehicle steps out yanked by the towed vehicle, COMPLETE LOSS OF CONTROL ALL OVER THE ROAD!

So before you kill innocent people also using the road: fix it, or tow it with the front wheels off the ground. 5 MPH is still a back end stepping out. Even if you tow it backwards the towed truck would swing out testing the traction of the tow vehicle.

Junkyard... Ebay knock off part... Come on $30 is the fuel to go that distance. Beg if you have to as I would donate to the cause.

If it breaks the tire turns, the towed truck turns, the back of the tow vehicle steps out yanked by the towed vehicle, COMPLETE LOSS OF CONTROL ALL OVER THE ROAD!

So before you kill innocent people also using the road: fix it, or tow it with the front wheels off the ground. 5 MPH is still a back end stepping out. Even if you tow it backwards the towed truck would swing out testing the traction of the tow vehicle.

Junkyard... Ebay knock off part... Come on $30 is the fuel to go that distance. Beg if you have to as I would donate to the cause.
Found out today $5 from a semi local scrapyard IF they have one and it’s one the opposite side of my town so 60 miles away from the truck lol I thought about taking ratchet straps and strapping the hub straight I don’t have but 3 tight turns if I could get it to turn with one strapped straight

Understand a patch job and my 5mph is risking instant loss of steering. If it pops free even at 5 mph it could swing you into the travel lane. Also the force of it coming free could do more damage.

I have been way out in the desert and done some crazy crap to get home. This falls under that category. I am with WarWagon- tell me address to mail $15. Paypal?

I was under impression you had to move truck with an hour or two- panic wise.

Understand a patch job and my 5mph is risking instant loss of steering. If it pops free even at 5 mph it could swing you into the travel lane. Also the force of it coming free could do more damage.

I have been way out in the desert and done some crazy crap to get home. This falls under that category. I am with WarWagon- tell me address to mail $15. Paypal?

I was under impression you had to move truck with an hour or two- panic wise.
Don’t worry about sending me money i just need to get it moved the guy I bought it from is wanting it gone ASAP

Sometimes we loose focus blindingly attempting to finish a task. A moment to review and in this case ask for help, advice, and suggestions is very respectable of you. Only you can make the call if the risk of damage fits the situation, emergency, etc.

We look forward to seeing you get this home safe and running. We want pics!

Sometimes we loose focus blindingly attempting to finish a task. A moment to review and in this case ask for help, advice, and suggestions is very respectable of you. Only you can make the call if the risk of damage fits the situation, emergency, etc.

We look forward to seeing you get this home safe and running. We want pics!
Finally went out and bought a tow bar last night and attempted to pull it home. The bolts pulled out because I had installed them wrong :banghead::banghead::banghead: it was dark and I was agitated so I went home. Can you point out good points to install the tow bar brackets? Its a 2wd dually.

Hope it works out for you, someone got mad at the truck and spun mud out of the mudhole on it. :eek: Also is that plants growing out of the bed of it?

Back