• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Torque pro with extended pies from quadstar

svein

Reaction score
Been stuck between work and a flu the last week's. Found a project to do from the bed!

While driving home from work the other day I suddenly had the engine light coming up, so I invested in a Bluetooth adapter and a cheap Android pad. When I drove to the store, I the HVAC blower stopped working. Got the stuff, and when I fired the truck back up, the blower came back and the engine light was off.

Anyway, got it all set up and installed torque pro with the extended pids from quadstar. Found a couple of codes on turbo boost, which is what I expected it to be.

Seeing the real-time data is really neat though. Timing is usually no more than 0.2* off the desired timing from the ecm, and I can monitor even more temperatures. :)

So far I haven't figured out if it can get it to show oil temp or boost or calculate the MPG - have any of you guys fiddled with such things?

I suppose you could put a Tee in the OPS port and put an electronic temp sensor in there and just run a gauge wired to it in the cab if oil temp is a concern. But yeah, no way to compute MPG (or KPL) short of filling it up and stubby penciling it out on paper (or on smart phone).

haha, well that would explain it!
I´d think that you could calculate the mpg from the commanded fuel rate to the IP - or would that maybe be far off?
Not too bothered about the oil temp, to be honest. The fuel temp is much more interesting for my veg oil driving. :)

It´s a good point. Suppose I´m back to tracing sensor wires to see of the utcomp I have can calculate som mpgs for me. haha

Last edited:
Does any of you wise guys know if there is a fuel consumption signal in pwm format there is possible to tap somewhere at all?

I messed with the Torque Pro and the extended PID files. I have them loaded to a file system on the android flappy top, I dont know if it will pull the PIDs from the file system as I have not hooked the flappy top to the truck. Maybe one of these days, if I can get a burst of ambition. LOL
I did get a different ALDL adapter that has the program that reads all of the data produced by the ECM so I have not messed much with the TP system. If I ever get a android stereo system I would like to do the TP into that and set it up with the dash gauge system like what Quadstar shows in their website.

Does any of you wise guys know if there is a fuel consumption signal in pwm format there is possible to tap somewhere at all?

The only fuel related data in the PCM is desired fuel rate, which is a fictitious number, measured in mm^3/1000 injection events. You could write a synthetic PID to do math based off the fuel rate PID and get something usable, although, I'd argue that it's not viable. In order for it to read even remotely close you'd have to make sure your injection pump is calibrated properly, no optic bumps, and is learned to it's correct resistor value as specified by the calibration bench for it.

I was more thinking about if There was somewhere i could actually tap a pwm signal related to fuel consumption.

i have a computer system called utcomp installed for all my extra veg oil sensors that calculates consumption based on a pwm signal. :)

What bluetooth adapters are yall using? Mine is a generic ELM327 one from FleaBay, but I keep getting high data rate errors, so it kicks it back to low speed data update.

What bluetooth adapters are yall using? Mine is a generic ELM327 one from FleaBay, but I keep getting high data rate errors, so it kicks it back to low speed data update.
I got on the Quadstar website and ordered in an ALDL adaptor that was recommended for the Torque Pro app.

Back