• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Topper for my Truck!!

Marauderer

Grumpy Old Cur***geon
Reaction score
I have come to a point where I need more room when I travel but, I would prefer not to tow a trailer if I don't have to. I travel about eight weeks a year at one week intervals and currently I fill the bed (have a tonnau cover) and the back seat of the cab. I now have a requirement to carry more cubics so my choice is a small trailer or a Topper. A Topper with a bed slide will fit the requirement very well. In fact it would allow the back seat to be empty when travelling.

I have done some research and have looked at Leer, ARE, and Snugtop for Toppers and Bedslide for slide. My nearest Snugtop dealer is in Missouri so they are out. ARE and Leer a pretty well matched and I have been to both my local dealers. After talking to both (I wore them out) I have pretty well decided on the Leer 100XR with the following options. Interior,3-outlet 12v power block, Windoors both sides, fold down clothes hangers, 2-12v LED power strips for lighting, and the 1000 lb bed slide.

All comments and suggestions are appreciated as I am sitting on this till next Monday to order.

[h=2]100XR
225_0_uploads_newImages_100xr.jpg
[/h]
The 100XR offers you a useful combination of form, function and style, with a curved all-glass rear door, center-mounted LEER flip lock, and 50/50 side sliding windows with screens.
513_0_uploads_CallOutImages_100xr.gif
[h=3]100XR Features[/h]
  • Limited Lifetime Color & Structure Warranty
  • Automotive Paint
  • Custom Fit Design
  • Fixed Front Window
  • Insulated Roof
  • Dark Tint Glass
  • Interior Dome Light
  • Recessed LED Third Brake Light
  • Frameless Curved Glass Rear Door
  • Installation Bulb Seal
  • 50/50 Side Sliding Windows with Screens
  • Skirted Sides
  • J-Clamp Installation Pockets
  • Fiberglass Base Rails for structural integrity
  • Rotary Latch System
  • LEER Flip-Lock Handle w/Hinged Weather Cover

[h=3]100XR Options[/h]
  • Front Sliding Window
  • Removable Front Picture Window
  • Removable Front Sliding Window
  • Additional Battery or 12V Dome Light
  • Automatic 12V Dome Light Switch
  • Interior Clothes Hanger (single or double)
  • Overhead Gear Net (req. roof rack)
  • Thule Aero Blade Roof Rack System
  • Thule Tracker II Roof Rack System
  • Thule Top Tracks Only
  • Thule/LEER Fairing
  • Thule Artificial Rain Gutter
  • Interior Headliner (choice of color)
  • Blank Front (front window delete)
  • Overhead Storage Bin (req. headliner)
  • Adventure Sports Package
  • Wilderness Package
  • Three-Outlet 12V Powerblock
  • Automatic 12V Light Switch
  • Front Boot

Why do you need power outlets back there? Hot & Cold containers?

BTW... 'bout damn time you checked back in... :hihi:

How ya doin' Barry?

Hey Mike, I have been out and about so to speak. My son moved to Florida and bought a farm and I have been helping out some with him. I bought a tractor and have been doing some landscaping.

The truck set up is to carry radio controlled airplanes. I pylon race and travel to at least six to eight races a year. The 12v power is good for chargers for the batteries.

Did not know that about Barry.. RCer myself. Have 15 years in Hobby retail too. Sold anything and everything hobby.

The shop I run had an in house asphalt oval track then later a flat carpet oval/road course. So cars for the most part, built some scale fixed wing for myself and others (had a knack for monokote), and dabbled in heli's.

I had an R/C airplane Hobby Shop in Hawaii back in the 70"s for four years. Then we moved back to the East coast and I got into boats, motorcycles and work for many years. Had a 4 wheel drive shop for a few years and built a few rock crawlers with my son. Went back into RC in 08 and been at it ever since. Primarily Pylon Racing.

Go with the LEER. I had a 100xq on my 01 and a 700 tonneau cover on the 06. The paint was perfect on both, plus from what I had seen, especially on the fiberglass tonneau covers, LEER has better looking designs that seem to flow with the style of the truck better than the ARE covers did.

Thanks for the input Brady. Yep, I am ordering the Leer on Monday. I see you list Lithia, FL as your home base. I go to Mulberry at least twice a year for events.

Glad to hear you found what you wanted.

Yes, I live in Lithia...Mulberry is close by. There isn't too much in either one, whereabouts do you fly your rc planes at? There is a pretty big rc park and bmx track near me in the Boyette area.

Probably can't go wrong with Leer, I have looked at them before. I have a Century Royal on my truck and have had a few issues with rivets on the door closure breaking here and there. I drilled them out and put metal screws back in where I could. The plastic flap on the door broke (rivets) loose one day right before I was going on a short trip. Boy was I pissed, but I fixed it. I guess if I was buying one today it would be a Leer or ARE. Jason makes some pretty nice ones too.

Good luck on getting in your topper real soon, you will enjoy it.

Glad to hear you found what you wanted.

Yes, I live in Lithia...Mulberry is close by. There isn't too much in either one, whereabouts do you fly your rc planes at? There is a pretty big rc park and bmx track near me in the Boyette area.

On the north side of Rt 60 a couple of miles outside of Mulberry on the way to Bartow. There is a Haverty's or some huge furniture company distribution warehouse and to the East of it is a pond and then the field. It is the Imperial RC Club.

Bigr, I got the Leer over the others just because of the dealer. If the ARE guy had been more personable I could have gone with him. If the nearest Snugtop was a lot closer than Missouri I could have gone with them. They are all pretty good now or they wouldn't still be in business. Sounds like your Topper is an ongoing project.

Just put one on mine a few weeks back...a Leer 100xl(?)...Love the extra room... got it used with the same color paint for $450

It's not perfect, but neither is my truck...

attachment.php

IMAG0350.jpg

Awe, Darn, I wish I could have found a used one!!

I ended up buying new (Painful) but, I am happy with it.

Some pics:
DSCF5368-L.jpg

I has the upgraded WinDoors.
DSCF5373-L.jpg

I just got my Bedslide and installed but will post some pics tonight.

Nice quality on the finish Barry. :thumbsup:

Looks like you could use some glyphosate on the driveway though...

Glyphosate=generic Round-up

Mike i tried to eradicate those things with my Tractor and it didn't work:eek:. I have some glyphosate in the shed and just need to mix up a batch and geterdone:thumbsup:.

Back