• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Too fast of an idle.

ak diesel driver

6.5 driver
Reaction score
This is on my 94 plow truck. Idles at about 11-1200 rpm. When I first start it cold it idles even higher and then goes down to the 11-1200 rpm after it warms up a bit. I'm thinking of replacing the ECT sensor in the crossover is there anything else to check. Seems odd to slow down after the initial warm up but not more later.

THEFERMANATOR

FRANKENBURBAN
Staff member
Lead Moderator
Reaction score
I would definitely look at either a bad coolant temp sensor, bad connection at the CTS, or a bad/broken ECM ground. If you have a scanner it would narrow down where to look alot quicker.

ak diesel driver

6.5 driver
Reaction score
So I decided to jumper the connector and when I did I got a reading of 304* so I disconnected the jumper and back to -34.4. so I plugged it back in and now it works. Don't know for sure what it was but I suspect the connection was not good and messing with it cleaned it up a bit.
At least I know where to look if it acts up again.

THEFERMANATOR

FRANKENBURBAN
Staff member
Lead Moderator
Reaction score
The pins on the coolant temp sensor are not very good quality. They're not coated like the ECM pins are. I've had to replace several before because of corrosion.