• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Timing a 6.5

matuva

Tropical 6.5er
Reaction score
New Caledonia. An island in south west pacific, cl
It might appear to most of us that this si going to be a dumbass question.

Though, I spent an hour debating with my father in law how to time a 6.5

I told him :

1. time first the engine. To do so, align the mark on the crankshaft gear with the one on the camshaft gear Engine timing.jpg
  2. Then, rotate the crankshaft 360° counter clokwise. doing so, the mark on the cranshaft will be again at the same place, but the camshaft will have rotate 180° only, and the mark will sit on the opposite
  3. so, you're now ready to align with the IP gear so as to time the IP IP timing.jpg
  4. Timing is done.

Am I correct or not ?

matuva- awesome pics in the garage!!! and the truck looks good too (lol).
no seriously I would love to live there

on the post you said ''counter clockwise'' but arrows indicate clockwise direction (that isn't like when you flush the toilet it rotates the opposite direction - lol just kidding !!

Right from the "MA GENERAL BOOK" Align the cam spocket and crank sprocket marks.
Install the cam gear. (keyed, can't screw it up)

Rotate the crank to place #1 piston at TDC (Firing position with both valves closed)
Cam gear marks will be at 12 Oclock. Install pump gear so mark aligns with cam gear mark.

Install IP. The IP will only install one way.

The three bolts have an asymetrical pattern (not the same) plus the dowel pin goes into the slot in the gear.

Done deal.

I was wondering if it was possible to screw this up, so I went down to the shop and ripped the water pumpand cover off my fresh engine for the DaHoooley and looked things over and rotated the thing through several times and watched the timing marks and such.

The number one piston comes up to fire every two rotations of the crank.

Fire, power stroke, (1/2 revolution) exhaust stroke (1/2 revolution) Now we have made one complete turn of the crank. Intake stroke (1/2 Revolution) compression stroke (1/2 revolution) at TDC we have made two complete revolutions of the crank and the cam has turned once.

No matter how you do this, you can't screw it up. As long as the chain sprockets have the marks aligned and then the cam gear is placed at the top and the pump gear has its mark aligned, its right.

Now there is a tool that is used to mark the timing cover housing where the IP goes in.

With the #1 piston at TDC the tool is fastened to the pump gear and to the housing (without the gasket) There is a handle on the tool that is turned to take the slack from the chain and there is a marking device on top of the tool the when struck with a hammer will mark the housing at true TDC.

This tool is of minimal use with the DS4 injected engines.

When I am pulling an engine down to rebuild it and the IP is good, I mark the IP and the housing so that the IP can go back where it was.

A nice clean sharp little chisel mark across the two will suffice.

The electronics will still be set to the original timing point that was being used when the engine last ran.

This is stored in the ECM's memory and unless a TDC learn and timing procedure is done it wont change.

Now if you start mixing and matching pumps and rigs and ?????????????/ things can get a tad dicey.

As long as its close the thing will run and you can then do the timing procedure and bring it in where it needs to be. spec I believe is -1.94 degrees Nominal.

I believe the actual timing at the crank is about 3.5 degrees BTDC

Hope this helps

Missy Good Wench

matuva- awesome pics in the garage!!! and the truck looks good too (lol).
no seriously I would love to live there

on the post you said ''counter clockwise'' but arrows indicate clockwise direction (that isn't like when you flush the toilet it rotates the opposite direction - lol just kidding !!
Yup, nice country, a bit pricey, but nice ;)

You're right clockwise, not counter clockwise.
Was past midnight when I was posting ):h

thanks for the write up Missy :thumbsup:

So, if I understand fine, when you have cam and crank sproket marks facing aligned, the engine is timed, piston #1 being on top at finishing exhaust stroke.
At this point, crank mark is a 12 o'clock, cam sproket mark is at 6 o'clock

Rotating crank 1 revolution will place piston #1 on top, at TDC, finishing compression stroke and ready to fire for power stroke the next crank 1/2 revolution.
Cam sproket will have made 1/2 revolution, and the timing mark on it will be facing the opposite, where you can then align with the mark on the IP gear.
crank will be a t 12 o'clock, and cam at 12 o'clock, IP at 6 o'clock

That's it ?

With crank and cam marks aligned then turn crank to set #1 on TDC of compression stroke.

This will place the cam gear with the mark facing straight up. Index the pump gear so its marks match and install the pump.

Basically no matter how you do it as long as the cam gear mark is at 12 Oclock and the IP gear marks match it will work.

You cant screw it up as long as the cam and crank were set right and the cam and the pump marks matched.

YESSSSSSSSS thats it :D:smile5::D

I took the front back off mine and screwed around to see if it was possible to muck it up. Nope can't be done as long as the marks are matched up.

Have fun
Missy

maybe a stupid question, but do the cam and ip marks align when the gear is meshed and fully installed, or before it is installed. if you line the marks up and mesh the gears, the ip gear is off just a bit....

With crank and cam marks aligned then turn crank to set #1 on TDC of compression stroke.

This will place the cam gear with the mark facing straight up. Index the pump gear so its marks match and install the pump.

Basically no matter how you do it as long as the cam gear mark is at 12 Oclock and the IP gear marks match it will work.

You cant screw it up as long as the cam and crank were set right and the cam and the pump marks matched.

YESSSSSSSSS thats it :D:smile5::D

I took the front back off mine and screwed around to see if it was possible to muck it up. Nope can't be done as long as the marks are matched up.

Have fun
Missy
Can the ip be 180 out with a DS4 up if not set on #1

Can the ip be 180 out with a DS4 up if not set on #1
If the crank and the the cam timing chain is set right and you rotate so the cam and IP gear dots align, you are good. It is pretty much idiot proof. So far I haven't screwed up:)

The ip drive timing is affixed to the cam. So you can not get the ip wrong from the camshaft. However the cam can be 180 (or any other rate) from the crank.

I have seen timing be off a ways and have people assume that 180 out.

What I exactly is going on?

well when i replaced the chain i did not rotatew the crank 360 and i got the timming 180 of. thats why im smoking so bad and pooping exhaust out trhe intake ports. the intake manifoild is off and it will start after somew diesel is poured in the ports then smokes and pops like a bitch but does run. no power of course. LOL. so back to the front of the engine comming off once again. radiator alt. ac brackets ET.Ect. timming cover Water pump fran /clutch. uggghh. hopefully it will all be good and running better then ever after im done. What started as a heath cooling upgrade lead to all new heads. had to use my old valves and did the lapping and valve springsd swap myself to save $600. the heads r the DDcastings swaped out the Precups with mt "T"cups also new ballanced flow pump. Hayden clutch, all aluminum Radiator, (blade fan heads Gaskete deadbolts oil return kit for the turbo new glow plugs fuel lines/filter and over $250 on just gaskets. uggghhhh. hope I get it right finaly. Ill post after I get it all put back together . Thanks for all the input. TTYS

TIMMING HELP PLEASE B 4 I TEAR THE FRONT OFF THE ENGINE AGAIN!!!

I don't know how exactly but I managed to screw my timming up. My truck is a 93 all mechanical. I must of put the gear on cam backwards or something. I replaced the chain and the new chain was tight a bit but i was sure not turning the crank with out the cam shaft also. it was being very difficult till i turned the gears around found the stamped ")" marks on both crank and cam sprockets. installed sprokets into chain with the "0"marks parallel and the sprockets and chain both matched their allinginbg key ways and then slid right on. as to how my injection pump is not right I am unsure. I was for some reaso thinbking the engine rotated counterclockwise wise and some how screwed it up. its heavy smoke that comes out my intake and it is pouring smoke out the center holes in between the intake ports. and pops with the smoke as it runs. I can only assume that it is firing on the exhaust stroke some how. any one had this happen? Is it my IP ?timming or something i missed. ?

First make sure the #1 piston is at TDC, Line up the crank & cam gear as you did, cam gear dot @6, crank @12, and use locktite on the keys, rotate the CRANK 1 full turn CW, install pump gears, again line up the marks on the gears and locktite all bolts.... this is one of the easiest motors to time so it's stright forward...

ok I took every thing off the front of engine again. Now who i line up the crank sprocket "0" mark note its keyed, To the Camshft sprocket.The "0"on the camshaft sprocket does not sit directly on top of the "0" mark on crankshaft sprocket. the camshaft sproket is also keyed and at top dead center the crank key sites toward the drivers side about 2 "oh" clock/1;30 position. but the key on the camshaft sprocket sits directly at 9"oh" clock position with the zero time mark is directly at 12 "oh"clock i cant turn the camshaft to 3 oh clock with out turning thge crank ore will bend valves. i cant install the timmimng chain set at top dead cente with crank sproket zero mark at 12 oh clock and camshhaft sproket zero mark at 6 oh clock. i never turned the cam with chain disconnected

So regardless of where the keyways are the crankshaft sprocket dot should be at 12 and the cam at 6. While you're moving it make sure neither keyway is messed up.

So you need to rotate the engine until the cam gear is at 6 BEFORE you take it apart, then with the chain off, carefully turn the crank until you get the crank gear to 12.
Any resistance at all STOP! Might even need to pull the glow plugs so as not to have compression to work against.

Question: I think my 99 6.5 might be 180 out after rebuild - it won't start up. I may have the IP gear and the cam out 180. A) is there an easy way to check this without taking a bunch of stuff apart? B) if it is 180 out, how do I fix it?

Is it simply a matter of pulling the IP gear then rotate the crank and reinstalling the gear?

History - the crank snapped, I got a used short block and I did the rod bearings and rings due to rust in the cylinders, so the chain between crank and cam was not changed - still in original orientation. When I put the IP gear on, the dots were perfectly aligned with the cam gear. But it may not have been at TDC for #1 when I set it.

Thanks for any help. G

Back