• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Thoughts on making my ranger diesel....

Nosferatu49534

Reaction score
So I've mulled over the idea of putting a 4bt in my 1998 4x4 ranger. I sure it's been done before but I was thinking it's would be a tight squeeze, so what about a Volkswagen or something similar. What are everyone's thoughts? Can an engine from a front wheel drive be put into a rear wheel/ 4x4?

On another forum a guy is about to put a vw diesel in a exploder.
Same forum another guy did a 3 or 4 bt into a BII, iirc.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

I googled 3bt and have kind of determined that they are a new holland/ case motor. Sounds like it would be very interesting to put one it the ranger. Gonna have to research these some more. :) what hasn't burnin oil put a different diesel in. :) I just read his Isuzu swap the other day. That was cool, even if he didn't keep it in there.

I've been following a thread from http://www.dieselbombers.com/diesel-engine-conversions/ about putting a Kubota v2203 four cylinder diesel into a Ranger. I actually got to drive for a short distance an older model Ranger with that motor in it. It did have a turbo on it, although I'm not sure what the turbo actually was. I was impressed. The owner, who did the conversion, was claiming to get about 35 MPG, even though he "drove it like I stole it". I'll have to dig up the actual threads and give you the links.

Don

Here's the thread (Kubota Ranger-Oregon, by flyinmonkeys32) that introduced me to the Kubota v2203. http://www.dieselbombers.com/diesel-engine-conversions/index3.html On this thread you will find some posts by FTE. It was his Ranger that I got to drive. There are several threads related to the Kubota v2203 scattered throughout several pages of the forum. I'm short on time right now, otherwise I would add more links. But, if you spend some time on this forum you will find several threads about the Kubota v2203, and several other small four cylinder diesels that are being used for conversions.

Don

Actually never drove it. I was a work in progress. The S10 weighs 100#s lass than a Passat so Im sure it would do fine. You can get some crazy HP/tq#s out of the TDI.

Pretty cool. Found a build on the ranger station of a guy putting a tdi in a 2wd ranger. Seems like it would be a lot of work but super fun.

Or perhaps the Mercedes 5 cylinder 3L (mechanical injection pump) mated to the OE tranny? Either normal aspiration or turbo. That era Mercedes typically has a non-computerized motor / tranny configuration where the two 'talk' to each other by way of push-rods / links. Pure plane simple and a pleasure to drive when you get the links adjusted correctly.

And advantage of the Merc 5 cylinder over the 3/4bt is a *lot* less noise. At idle it has a mild clatter which turns to a hum at operating RPM's.

The MERCEDES 5 cylinder OM617 is a tried and proven diesel swap into MANY different platforms. You can probably buy all the adapters and such needed to drop it in, it is such a common and popular swap engine. The newer MERCEDES diesels are also good canidates as well. The newer 4&5 cylinders are smaller, lighter, and far more powerful. The newer OM603 is supposed to be close to the same length as the OM617 5 cylinder, almost twice the power, and about 1/3rd the weight. Only downside is they had ALOT of problems with them over the years(early 86-87 engines were good, but heads commonly cracked on them. Then the later models from 89 on were a larger displacement, and had problems with rods that would lead to engine failure). The OM602(newer style 5 cylinder IDI) is supposed to be a good engine, and was used I believe from 86 to sometime in the mid 90's in the states. Another thing is they are not that popular in the MERCS, so they tend to be cheap. Theres LOTS of swap options out there, the question is, is your rig worth doing it to? If it is I would definately look into the MERCEDES engine for a vehicle the size of the ranger. The 4BT is more suited a full sized truck than a RANGER as it weighs close to 1000 pounds IIRC.

A buddy of mine swapped an old Nissan 4 cylinder diesel engine into a 2wd Ranger some years back. I went to his garage where he had 3 more lined up. It ran very nice.
Also check into the 4 cylinder Isuzu diesel engine. They came in small pickups a while back.

Seems like I have lots of choices. :) thanks for all the suggestions so far. Are the Mercedes hard/ expensive to find parts for?

Back