• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Things to look for when buying?

packratt

Reaction score
I'm looking to buy another truck. If I"m looking at one of these trucks what should I pay attention to? Other than the standard body, frame, suspension issues.

Thanks.

HiYuh PR.
You might try checking out this thread from the stickies in the 6.5 section.

That is mostly geared towards a 6.5.

I would guess the newer trucks might need more technology to inspect say something like a scanner that can measure balance rates of injectors???

With the expense of the newer injectors and IP's etc I think I may want some receipts or proof of maintenance.
....For the last 25 years the first 100K miles is dang near maintenance-free but reaching 200K-300K takes some appreciable maintenance costs.

What are the recommended history checks....

https://www.vehiclehistory.gov/ ???????

I know how to evaluate a used vehicle. I just don't know what specific problems to be on the lookout for with this series of vehicles.

Ex: Ford 6.0 has headgasket issues
Ford 6.4 has problems with rear 2 pistons cracking due to the emissions system
GM 6.5 headgasket and block cracking

Used Duramax is all about the injectors. Have they been replaced, exactly which ones matter. Throwing a computer on to check them out is a smart idea if possible.

Back