• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

The "Banana" Oil Pan

This was discussed over at Mcrats site, and the general consensus was those 2 quarts(if even that much) amounts to very little when the engine takes 10 quarts during an oil change. I can think of ALOT of other places to spend that kind of money to get better bang for the buck.

You can buy one of those pans, keep it sexy clean int he bed of your 93 and guarantee no oil is left behind in it!

Seriously though, cant you just add in a drain in the lower dip of the factory pan if it bothers you?

It looks like a good design, with a lot of thought put into it. I never really noticed the issue with my oil pan. I'll check when the weather warms up a bit. ;) I am surprised that the GM design team did not pick up on something like that. Common sense always says drain liquid from the lowest point.

They do drain from the lowest point, but the pan does have a roll in the botom to stiffen it which results in some oil being trpped in the front when you change your oil. I have to correct myself as I thought they quoted it as 2 quarts, but they say 2 cups of oil remains in the front portion of the pan. So you put in 10 quarts during a change which is 40 cups. So they are saying that 5% dirty oil is making the other 95% filthy in minutes. No pan is ever going to drain all of the oil unless you put in a drain smacj dab in the center of a sump with the threads on the outside. In that situation the first thing to hit would be your drain plug which would rip out dumping all of your oil whereas the factory design allows for a steel pan to dent and not leave you oilless. Personally I like the factory design better. And if 2 cups of dirty oil bothers you, you would hate to think of how much is left laying in the valleys of teh cylinder heads, lifter valleys, laying on top of other engine parts, stuck in the oil cooler, and so on.

So it's basically Snake Oil for the Paranoid people?
Pretty much. Just something somebody came up with hoping to sell. It is sort of like people buying the deep pans expecting it to drop trans temps. All it does is make it take longer to heat up, but also to take longer to cool down.

Neat looking, but I agree... a couple of cups of oil when you're talking 10 quarts is nothing.

If you're the type who forgets to tighten the plug to begin with, would you remember to safety wire it every time you change the oil?

Neat looking, but I agree... a couple of cups of oil when you're talking 10 quarts is nothing.

If you're the type who forgets to tighten the plug to begin with, would you remember to safety wire it every time you change the oil?

Yea, that Safety Wire thing is too much IMO. Now you're REALLY getting paranoid if you need to put a Wire on the Drain Plug.

If one would tilt the truck towards the stock pans plug, the oil left would probably go from 2 cups to 1, maybe?

If one would tilt the truck towards the stock pans plug, the oil left would probably go from 2 cups to 1, maybe?

I jack mine up slightly off center so I get most of it out. I don't do it to get more oil out though, I have to to get my fat but underneath it with my running boards.

Back