• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Test drove a new 3.0L Duramax I6 Chevy 1500 w/RST Package

BoostN

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Overall, a very nice truck for the money. Sticker was at 58,300 and the dealer offered me more than fair for my Colorado, plus coming 12K off sticker on the new truck. The interior was a brown/tan mix and just didn't do it for me. I wanted the solid black interior this time around... ended up walking and broke the sales guys heart as he needed 1 more sale since it was the last day of the month.. oh well, it's a blessing as I would have bought it and likely not been happy as I was set on black interior.

The truck has some power.. from a dead start the truck had plenty of power, even from off-ramp to ~60MPH it was fine. Wasn't able to get any faster due to no major interstates around the dealer. The 6.2 we drove right before that was quite impressive in the power department. A recent video though showed the 3.0L not far behind that 6.2 in testing. With the MPG increase in the 3.0 and a potential power increase from tuning (thinking Banks, Edge, etc) the truck should be able to hold it's own.

Great information on the new 3 liter diesel. My uncle has a GMC 1500 Denali with the 6.2 Liter gas engine, he said it had a bunch of power. He is a go fast Diesel type guy, he has had a bunch of Class 8 Trucks and diesel 2500HD trucks over the years. If he says the 6.2 liter gas engine is pretty strong I believe him. Can't remember the mpg figures he was getting maybe 19 or 20 mpg, on the interstate.

Find you one with a black interior, @BoostN and buy it. You can let us know how the 3.0 liter diesel does.....:)

I want a new truck one of these days, funding is probably the only hold up, I have some other priorities right now.

I want a new truck one of these days, funding is probably the only hold up, I have some other priorities right now.

That's half the reason why I didn't sir.. I'm building a new house and need to focus on that and not a truck.. I'm just dying for another full size truck again.

The ol lady needs a new ride as well.. :arghh:

That's half the reason why I didn't sir.. I'm building a new house and need to focus on that and not a truck.. I'm just dying for another full size truck again.

The ol lady needs a new ride as well.. :arghh:

Yea the house deal is my big problem right now as far as the money. We built a new house and moved in it in December of 2014, then added the garage in 2015. In 2018 a bank slid off beside the garage and house, due to all the rain. My contractor says I am number one on his list of big jobs as soon as it dries up some, which will be no time soon, more rain is coming today. :mad: It will probably cost me 10 to 20 thousand to fix the bank where it slid off. That would have been a good down payment on a new truck....:(

Meantime I will drive my daily beater S-10 that has about 145,000 miles on it and drive my 2006, 2500HD when the weather is good. I can survive without a new truck for a few more years I suppose. The wife's vehicle is a 2013, with about 40 some thousand miles on it, heck I haven't drove it in a while, not sure about the mileage. She likes that vehicle says she doesn't care about a new one, thats perfectly fine with me.

Been thinking of getting one. Work too many crazy hours to go camping anymore. If I do, it will be an AT4.
Have any of y'all seen the RMT conversion package on the AT4? Add link below.
People above are 100% correct. That 6.2 is a beast. In a Denali it is a sports car with a bed.

No one has bought one of these 1500s with the inline 6 diesel?
We need some updates and new info now that these have been out there for a year or so.

And that's a good thing because, as usual, the first model year people pay to do GM's R&D for them. :facepalm: I am serious as I asked my GM service advisor about how they were doing... "Wait for the next model year as they are having some problems." Minor problems I gathered.

Next year should have the auto start/stop to really annoy you. Go ahead and ask me how unreliable I think that will be on diesel batteries and starters? :vomit:

Aren't you glad you aren't stuck with one of these Mediocre diesels during a pandemic , where you can't hardly steal a pickup or any other new vehicle, and now may have to run this engine it out past expensive planned maintenance at 150K miles? And hope after the warranty GM's WAG for belt life isn't actually "SNAP! OOPS!" at 101K miles.

We have the proven technology to pump engine oil without a belt running in near 300 degree oil. Yeah the fan belt can last 100K, but, it's in plain sight, not as hot, and not as hard to replace.

One of many glaring potential engine killing in plain sight problems this engine can have. My crystal ball also shows crud jamming up the coolant valves. Hopefully it shuts down before the block or heads warp.

Wow. Very negative you are. And cynical.
I spoke to a few guys who have them. They love the trucks. No issues at all. Great fuel mileage.
WW has NEVER met a modern vehicle that lives up to his standards of quality. Probably goes back to his introduction to adulthood... I do know, however, that "they don't make em like they used to" is as true today as ever...

Wow. Very negative you are. And cynical.
I spoke to a few guys who have them. They love the trucks. No issues at all. Great fuel mileage.

I am equally critical of all diesels especially when it's deserved. My comments are rather nice vs. others who see what a joke of a design disaster this engine really is. It's already at it's power limit due to cooling. Rumor is GM is already looking at something else to replace the belt drive on the oil pump. Someone at GM should have known better.

So one ought to consider carefully this new diesel engine from GM and ask if the risk of trying it out is right for you? With pandemic parts shortages for other Diesel Disasters like the CP4 ignorantly used on the Cummins for 2019-2020, well, a check of your state Lemon Laws may be in order before a purchase like a new design GM diesel engine.

The CP4 Cummins disaster was plainly predictable and why I have a 2018 NOT a 2019 RAM Cummins.

So far I haven't heard of any major problems. Read of several towing well over the max rated towing capacity and no overheating. But I agree that a wet belt to run the oil pump is a huge turn off. Audi/VW tried it and it bit them in the hind end HARD. Other than the oil pump drive belt, I don't see much wring with it. I would not want one outside if warranty though as it us HEAVILY dependant on electronic controls in pretty much every aspect of the engine right down to coolant flow.

-21 with RST Package / Leather 4x4. First tank is showing 29.5 MPG.

It's a very smooth motor. I've got 560 miles on it.. headed to the beach tomorrow so I'll have some good road MPG numbers tomorrow.

Back