• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Tailgate Cable

DieselCash

Trust but, verify
Staff member
Reaction score
Does anybody know of a place that makes or sales a tailgate bar assembly that will take the place of a tailgate cable?

Will the older trucks bar assembly bolt right onto our newer trucks cable assembly?

I really hate the cables, they always fail at the perfectly wrong times.

Marty,

get some VR straps...$45 (I have these)

stainless tailgate "old style" straps

vrstrap.2.jpg

only place that still sells them that I can find is merchant's

http://www.merchant-automotive.com/vrstainlesstailgatestraps.aspx

On edit: after doing some research it looks like he turned the business over to merchant...so that is the only place you can get them...

I read somewhere someone on Ebay sold them for a while but I haven't looked for them as the pics someone posted of them show to be inferior to the VR straps...

Last edited:
Marty, this for your 93? Early early GMT-400s had proper steel straps/bars like 88-89, 88-90. You can probably order them from dealership, or junkyard.

Marty, this for your 93? Early early GMT-400s had proper steel straps/bars like 88-89, 88-90. You can probably order them from dealership, or junkyard.

Yes this is for my 1993, I will look into this when I get the hell out of this crappy country!

From what I have seen so far they stopped making them in 1987, which is a different body style truck than the 1993.

Last edited:
Marty,

get some VR straps...$45 (I have these)

stainless tailgate "old style" straps

vrstrap.2.jpg

only place that still sells them that I can find is merchant's

http://www.merchant-automotive.com/vrstainlesstailgatestraps.aspx

On edit: after doing some research it looks like he turned the business over to merchant...so that is the only place you can get them...

I read somewhere someone on Ebay sold them for a while but I haven't looked for them as the pics someone posted of them show to be inferior to the VR straps...

Per the website these will only work on 1999 and up!:mad2: That sux, exactly what I am looking for.

I sent them an email to see if they offer anything for 1993 trucks.

Last edited:
Yes this is for my 1993, I will look into this when I get the hell out of this crappy country!

From what I have seen so far they stopped making them in 1987, which is a different body style truck than the 1993.

I PROMISE you GM made them early in GMT-400: http://www.compnine.com/index.php?u...1147577413&capuid=1&majorgroup=17&grouptype=B

Hopefully that link works for you. It is the bed assembly for a 1988 from Compnine. I will get you the GM Part Numbers when I get home, Compnine took them down, but I can look them up.

thats what I thought...compnine had them for $52 each side...Gmparts giant show $42 each side IIRC

are we sure the VR straps wont work?

Could I get some measurements from mine to see if thats an option?

I think you'd have to measure a set that are known to work on his year. I was looking at LMC but they only show the cables for the 88-98.

Pretty sure the straps that came off my 89 were "part" or the latch assembly.

I'll see if I can dig up a pic later.

What year trucks were we talking about again?

The GMT400's should all swap. If you're talking GMT400 to and 800, it might be a different story....

So which one do yall think will work?

The older or the newer?

I have been told but never seen the older straps will work on my truck but the 87 bed is different than the 93.

So which one do yall think will work?

The older or the newer?

I have been told but never seen the older straps will work on my truck but the 87 bed is different than the 93.

Older or newer what? What years?

I have no idea if the GMt 400's and the previous square bodies interchange, but I'd be surprised if it did.

If you're looking for the metal tailgate "bars" for your 93, just head of to the local yard and grab a set of an 89 like my old one. They came that way from the factory and they'll bolt right on.

:)

Great White,

If they cam on a 89(same bed style as the 93) then why can I not find it in any online order catalogs? Do you think it was a limited test item??

Looks like I will have to go junk yard hunting!

I need a new tail gate anyways.

Great White,

If they cam on a 89(same bed style as the 93) then why can I not find it in any online order catalogs? Do you think it was a limited test item??

Looks like I will have to go junk yard hunting!

I need a new tail gate anyways.

Dunno.

All I can tell you is they were on my 89 when I bought it. They were factory, I knew the two previous owners and it was not something they would do to the truck.

Maybe the've been superceeded and are no longer available. That might explain why they're not on a parts list anymore.

I've got a couple spares out in the garage, the ones that came off my 89 actually.

I can probably dig 'em out and snap a pic if you want...

I found a tailgate with the bars at a wrecking yard today for $54. The only difference from the tailgate with the cables and the tailgate with the bars is the two star screws that the cable/bars connect too. Easy fix and no more cables! :thumbsup:

Will post pics soon!

Back