• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Swapping the IP - Do the lines have to be removed from the injectors?

WarWagon

Well it hits on 7 of 8...
Reaction score
I have a DB2 on a 6.2 with a 6.5 turbo setup. The LH manifold would have to come off to remove the lines from the injectors due to clearance issues.

I want to know if it is possible to swap the IP without removing or loosing the lines on the injectors? Not afraid to bend lines a little...

It is possible. I've done it. Don't know if this way is 'right' or not.

A 5/8" crows foot wrench and an extension will be needed.

Of course don't drop the IP gear bolts into the timing cover. This is about the only scary part.

it can be done. however you have to be careful not to bend them and the do get in the way. Why do you have to remove the left side? the right I can see.

:34: No, No, the other left.

Have the intake off and will try pulling the pump tomorrow. Hopefully this will eliminate the hard starting...

I would not. If the coating breaks off inside the line the line is ruined and the inj nozzle. Moving them enough to change nozzles really isn't supposed to be done but it can.

While I'm no expert i did replace my IP fairly recently. At first i wanted to just remove the lines from the back of the IP. Of course the top ones were simple but then when i had to get the crows foot on it became very time consuming. I don't have a turbo so it may be less time to do it in that fashion however the thought of getting the line nuts at the very bottom started with the IP in place to me seems next to impossible although I do have a large hand that doesn't really fit in tight spots.

Anyone ever tear an injector line up to see if they are coated or double walled lines? Such do exist, just not sure if our are or not. Walt at SSD says something about it on his site having a coating, so dont know if that means to not believe it outright or think twice about it.

Changed the IP with very little line movement. Crow's foot is required and then it is a cake job.

Give me one valid reason there should be any.
injection line comes factory on the roll,they cut it to lenght needed ,bend it shape and weld the ends on.
We made them in any lenght straight from the roll in house at one general repair outfit i used to work for.
Any diesel shop worth its salt should be able to make them from scratch too.

If there would be any flaking(i never seen any) coming from the inside of the lines it must be a left over from the die forming process or varnish build up from the fuel.

Last edited:
There are coated lines to prevent moisture in the fuel that may sit in there a while when its not running from corroding inside to out. These type of injection lines exist, which is why it comes into question whether ours are or not. Not saying these type of line are not bendable, but there may be special process for doing so or they get coated after bending. One guy spreading that rumor is Walt at SSD on his webpage of his injector products, but we know he also says other questoinable things.

I have yet to hear of anybody ever having a problem with coating flaking off. I'ved changed my IP 2x plus it was changed by the dealer 3x under warranty. I bent them back gently (to avoid cracking) and I can bet you a flat rate dealer tech did the same. I'll look and see if I have any easy to get to spare lines and cut one up.

As many high mile 6.5 lines I have used on 6.2 heads and bent with blunt objects and screwdrivers you can rest assured that the coating, if it exists, isn't coming off easy. As rough as I have been I am surprised I have not cracked a line. 1995 DS4 lines on 1986 6.2 heads is the worst case and requires lots of bending.

My personal opinion is that the coating isn't in the lines. I have nomproof other than what I did to one when making a pop tester:

DSC03810.jpg

No leaks or cracks, no contamination that blocked a pintle.

I have never cut one open though....

That tester Looks fine by me,but i would put a needle valve between the bottle and the T.
That way you can isolate the pressure in the injector for a nozzle leak test

I wonder if I could make a pop tester with an old Porta power pump I have. That looks really cool. What did you fill the jack with though ? Diesel ? Does that not ruin it ?

I wonder if I could make a pop tester with an old Porta power pump I have. That looks really cool. What did you fill the jack with though ? Diesel ? Does that not ruin it ?

I used my porta power pump for my tester.

Back