• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Strange noise

DBLHock9

Reaction score
Hey guys bought my truck brand new and since the day I've had it, it randomly makes an odd noise. I can't really put any consistency to it but about once a week while I'm moving slow it will motor kinda bog then it will make a short growl sound and kinda sound like it is blowing something out of the exhaust. I've had it back to the stealership a couple times and they have no idea what it is. Anybody else every experience anything like this?

It's not normal at all. I had that lb7 for years and been around diesels for a long time, and it's not right, not turbo lag or anything like that. Unless it has something to do with the new dpf, but even that would surprise me. It's a very awkward deal.

I think Mike has hit the nail. These are setup to cycle the vanes on the exhaust side to keep the carbon from building up. That's my shot from the hip anyway.

It's not normal at all. I had that lb7 for years and been around diesels for a long time, and it's not right, not turbo lag or anything like that. Unless it has something to do with the new dpf, but even that would surprise me. It's a very awkward deal.
Ryan, The VVT didn't come along until LLY but I know that since I put the Diamond Eye exhaust on the sound really amplified at almost any sustained rpm to a noticable level and I'd guess the addition of a DPF may have added to the amount you notice it. Not to discount what Ferm says since he's dealt with DPF trucks and I haven't in person.

Can you capture it on video? Post it and we'll give it our best shot.

I've got a noise to on mine, some kind of vibration but I can't pin point it myself..

I think I may know the turbo vane behavior you guys are talking about, and its pretty evident on my truck with the 4" and no DPF, the LMM might still be different than the LML, but the way he describes it, I don't think its the turbo. He said the motor will surge, not when he's putting power to it, just kinda putsing out of a driveway or whatever then it will sound like its bogging, "Then it sounds like its shi*ting a cat out the exhaust." I happens pretty quick, sounds like a longer deal when I type it but its over pretty quick. Surge/Bog/whoooof. It happens random enough, (about once a week) that you would have to be waiting a long time to catch it on vid. He drives A LOT during a work week so there may actually be more miles between each hiccup than one might consider.

DPF still in place? If so, I would be thinking regen issues which may or may not be normal.

I know our LML makes some odd deep grumbling sounds from time to time. Figured it was just part of the regen due to it closing the throttle valve and such.

Back