• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Strange code

sometimes the VGT side of the turbo gets gummed up with soot and the vanes get sticky. Depending on your skills you can pull the turbo off and clean it up. A small wire brush and put it all back together. No lubricant is used on the parts. If you lube parts the soot will stick to it and your back at square one. I hope this helps.

Code P003A came up again on Saturday. I had just started the truck and with the windows open I noticed the vanes cycling sound was a bit louder than normal. Whatever that means... The freeze data said it was caused by P004A. Huh?

Getting the P003 code again from time to time but now I have gotten P02563 a couple of times. I believe that points directly to the VPS. Guess I'll need to do some research and shopping for that.

I am getting the same codes today. Truck still runs OK. But I got a P003A and P2563 Intermittent.
Is this Turbo Vane Position Sensor expensive? Has anyone tried to put a different turbo charger on these that is a fixed wheel?

I know Ferman suggested I switch to Synthetic oil to maybe help loosen up the vanes and I did that. Then after a good 500 mile round trip I didn't have codes for a couple of weeks but now I'm almost always short trips and the P003A is there frequently but since the Truck runs great, I just ignore it.

Exact same situation for me Mike. I had been run ning Mobil 1 synthetic for a few years, then I had some Mobil Delvac dino oil to use up. I was getting codes regularly and blasting out the soot about twice daily. I guessed that the Dino was coming a bit. I downgraded my tune to 60hp tow tune and switched back to Mobil 1 synthetic. Was good for a while, but just got these codes again. Truck really doesn't seem down on power. I'll just keep driving it I guess.
My fault for driving like an old man for past several years. I'm not really a hig fan of these VVTs. I'd like a nice fixed wheel turbo replacement that bolts right in.

Back