• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Stolen DPF!

Ed HD

Formerly: Dad's 05 LLY
Reaction score
So the DPF was stolen off the 08 C4500 sometime in the last couple days, noticed it in the lot this afternoon. The rear chunk of exhaust is hanging on both ends, and the cat is still there. Will it go into limp home mode without the DPF? Who is the best tuner to delete the emissions stuff? I have no reason to spend the money to put a DPF back on... @THEFERMANATOR

What else should I be looking for to see what's damaged?

Attachments

• 0402161840.jpg
    0402161840.jpg
    115.7 KB · Views: 16
That's crazy! I guess you can say the did some what of a favor by giving you a reason to have it deleted.

Kory Willis is the guy most people recommend and will be the guy that tunes mine when it is deleted.

Whoever took that must be pretty desperate. Many people can't even give them away, and most places require a copy of the title that the vehicle came off of before they will buy it. Tony at ridgerunner is always good to work with, and IMHO goes above and beyond in making sure people are happy with his work. PPEI also does them, but forget being able to pick up the phone and talk to somebody as they do it all via email anymore. He's a very busy guy, and there has been some complaints of late with his work. I think Mark at Danville also does LMM's, and is a top notch tuner. If you had a V2 or access to one, I could do the delete tune for you and email it back to you, but unless you have a V2 to do the flashing, it would be cheaper for you to get an exchange ECM from a tuner that does them. I would also ditch the cat while you're doing this just to eliminate any restrictions. The only down side to this is if you sell it later. They will come back on whoever deleted it, and make them pay to have it brought back legal. It has happened recently, hence why many are hanging onto there DPF and cats now.

HPTUNERS can do it as well, if you have the software version thats old enough to still do it. I'm sure somebody can hook you up with the old version, but I'm not sure if you can go back with the software on HPTUNERS or not(I know you can't with EFILIVE). Unfortunately, not many people out there do DURAMAX tuning with HPTUNERS, so you would sort of be on your own for figuring it out.

Cakewalk with the right version of HP Tuners. Note there is a narrow window of versions that will properly 'read' the sensor data and display it properly. Example of codes to turn off.

You don't need a tune per say. Just turn off the codes. Also block the damned EGR - the EGR for NOx control makes the damn thing smoke worse than a NA 6.5 at high altitude without a DPF. As visible emissions are a dead giveaway and what the public really cares about this is what you want to make sure you don't have. I'd leave the cat just to keep things cleaner as they really are hard to plug. I ran one on that dirty 6.2 burb engine belching black and it didn't plug - as the Duramax makes loots of soot for NOx via EGR.

If you do tune it go all the way and get a Trans tune, separate ECM, that speeds up it's 'slow' shifting.

Your other option is to call your insurance company as 'theft/vandalism' should be covered and the cost to replace it should be over your deductible. If you run commercial you should consider keeping it...

Last edited:
Yep, if you run commercial, you pretty much need it as DOT IS checking for them now, and parking rigs without them left and right. They don't care that it boosts your MPG by 25-40%, they only care about being EPA legal.

Kinda skirting under the lines right now, it has non-commercial plates. my DOT guy doesn't inspect for emissions stuff...

Do the Police report. If your driving the truck and waiting for insurance to finish the repair, officer Ollie might be understanding. Maybe open an insurance claim but if your worried about the impacts to your cost don't accept the check "yet". Just drag it out the close the claim. That way if it ever does go in front of the Judge you can avoid the $10,000 fine.

Yeah, that's a good idea. I'll have to call the cops tomorrow. What's sad is the cop shop is literally half a block away...

Yep, if you run commercial, you pretty much need it as DOT IS checking for them now. . .

And the EPA is known for trolling / lurking on forums ;) Suspect we had one here last year as the individual wanted help with rolling coal, everybody shot that idea down, and I never saw another post from that person.

I'll have to call the cops tomorrow. What's sad is the cop shop is literally half a block away...

Not surprised. One placed I worked had guards that walked the parking lots during the day *and* cameras 24/7. There was a rash of daylight cat thefts anyway without an arrest or conviction. If somebody is desperate to the point of stealing, they will run the risk no matter how close LE is.

My vote is that the DPF will probably float past a recycle center or two until the center buys it so the thief can take care of a fix. So, consider calling around to the local recycle centers as a heads-up for them. Also, call some of the local diesel repair shops as well given that the individual clearly knew what to go after. Who knows, you might get it back for free.

There was a big run of dpf and cats stolen in Vegas a couple years ago. The recycle places have to get ID from the people turning in anything over $100 worth of scrap, so it took a few months but they were caught.

The victims were not able to get their parts back because ownership was not prove able.

After the recycle yard, then theifs stared selling them to the junkyards...

Yeah, I think I'm going to file a police report in the morning, and then talk to my insurance agent, see what our comprehensive coverage looks like...

Murphy says $980 because of deductable amount.

Make sure to get pricing on "maybe" entire new exhaust while its in the shop because they damaged hangers and got metal debris into muffler....

Quick estimate just on parts was $4k, dealer is going to get me a full estimate, managed to drive it over there without any complications (truck didn't even know it was gone!).

Back