• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Stock fuel pump croaked, installed a Walbro

SlowBoat

Reaction score
I recently installed a new PMD behind the bumper with a kit from Leroy Diesel after a total failure. Solved all my problems so I thought. I was moving some equipment from the pasture to the shop and had shut down outside the building. Finished up unloading and the Sierra 3500 wouldn't fire off. Would try, puff a little, but wouldn't run.

I had replaced the fuel filter a few weeks ago, so I got a clear plastic bottle and put the fuel drain line in it to check for fuel. Hit the key, a trickle, cranked it over and got maybe a teaspoonful of fuel.

I already had a Walbro fuel pump and line adapters on order from Burning Oil and was just waiting for them to arrive. Since it had been raining pretty much the better part of two weeks here, and the truck sitting out in the mud, it was going to be a quick 'get it running' so I can move it fix.

I wanted to install the new lift pump and leave myself room for adding some additional filter options so I did fab up a nice little aluminum mounting bracket that would give me some space to do it later. I measured for clearance to allow access to the fuel line adapters later if need be. Got lucky and had two existing holes in the bottom of the frame rail so I drilled matching holes in the bottom flange of my mounting plate. Everything turned out pretty well, and she fired right up after bleeding out the air in the lines.

In a few days I will go back and mount a primary filter inline before the Walbro, add a couple of more bolts to the base of the mounting plate, and might even add a little paint. I will post some pics of the final version.

Walbro FP 06.jpgWalbro FP 01.jpgWalbro FP 02.jpgWalbro FP 03.jpgWalbro FP 04.jpgWalbro FP 05.jpg

Looks good. What PSI do you have now? Its real subtle, but did you notice a difference in the way engine runs at an idle? When I did mine I could tell right away that the engine sounded better and on the road was night and day difference.

Don't buy an air dog. They are junk. Mine was on for 2 days and went out. Air dogs employee Jason told me tough luck. These are terrible people please don't buy an air dog, go with FASS, because they stand behind thier product

I noticed an immediate improvement in the starting and idling. Running out on the highway, well there's no comparison. My stock lift pump must have been just trickling enough to keep the IP primed and leaving all the work to it.

I will put a gauge on it before I tear things down and add the extra filter setup. That way I can get a good back to back comparison on my setup. Like I said earlier the stock pump just absolutely quit pumping. It would run, but not pump any fuel.

Of what a difference a good fuel pump can make!

Its quickly becoming my #1 recommended mod, poised to take over from a Diamond Eye 4" exhaust. Walbro FRC10=Best bang for the buck IMO.

Back