• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

steering clunk

sailinstud420

Reaction score
have a clunk in my steering, dealer claims its not the midshaft, and they have been unable to replicate the noise, (i hear it all the time, next time I ride with the tech). Any thoughts on what else it may be? truck is '07.5, has 20k on it....

If the 07.5+ have the same problem as the previous, it's the steering column intermediate shaft. That should be covered under your 3 year/36,000 mile warranty, if your not past that 3 year make yet.

My vote is ISS or the lower steering column bearing. I would take a look under the dash and find the steering-shaft. Then grab a hold of it and push back and forth up and down. If there is any movement then that is where the noise is coming from.

It was a very common problem with the 2007 and older trucks. The fix was the newer ISS and the new green bushing. It could also be a loose steering box up front or bad ball joints.

i had an 06' that would make some steering noise once in a while i had to bring it back three or four times then they figured out that it was the skid plate making noise when the frame would flex during steering. solution was drop the skid plate and put rubber grommits in between the skid plate and the frame

ended up being iss. after dealership swore up and down left and right that the nbs trucks don't have that problem.

Glad you got 'em to come around to the right way of thinking and thanks for the update!

ended up being iss. after dealership swore up and down left and right that the nbs trucks don't have that problem.

Ridiculous. It's good to see that GM never fixed this problem and is still installing cheap ass parts. I went through 3 shafts on my 04.5 and 2 on my 07.

Back